Extra Oversize Grip Bushing?

Sculptor

Fanatic
I had a guy contact me today about a frame stripped by an oversize bushing. ugh! He wanted to know if I had an extra-oversize bushing available. The answer is no, but I'm giving some thought to making one for this guy and a few others to have on hand. But some of you may know a better way.

Such a bushing can obviously be made. I suspect the reason it's not is that there is little or no economic value in solving what has to be a very rare problem. In the years I've been in the business, this is only the second time I have heard of occurring. I'm curious to know if others have experienced this problem and if so, how they solved it.

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
geez, perhaps an easy-out type insert? Nope, never had a stripped over-size bushing experience. In for the education

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
I can't see a need for these to be a standard item for any manufacturer because as you said there's no monetary incentive (lack of demand)
These would be a custom item from what I can figure and any good machine shop can make them. They could even make a custom tap if needed as your only tapping through a frame it would not take much to do, unless of course there is a standard extra/ultra fine tap size that would be used.
Curious to see what everyone says

Sculptor

Fanatic
I've determined that a 7 x .5 mm tap would be a good choice. They are readily available at a good price.

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm curious to see how that would play out, gonna have yo check on that tap size. I might have one, doubtful but I never know what I'll have.

Ceapea

Well-Known Fanatic
Does Heli-Coil (sp?) make something that will work? I don't know the nominal/standard bushing thread spec's.

Latest posts