Experience with mec gar 11 round .45 1911 mag?

MFIC

Fanatic
Wondering if they work in any full size 1911? If so, why haven't they taken over the world?

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
uh, cause they stick out so far? seriously tho I don't use 10 rounders at all, I'm also unfamiliar with an 11 rounder? IIRC, and thats doubtful, many have experimented with ultra capacity mags for the 1911, its likely the spring thats the issue? One of my 1911s gets 10 round mags even for carry, but its a super38!!

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
uh, cause they stick out so far? seriously tho I don't use 10 rounders at all, I'm also unfamiliar with an 11 rounder? IIRC, and thats doubtful, many have experimented with ultra capacity mags for the 1911, its likely the spring thats the issue? One of my 1911s gets 10 round mags even for carry, but its a super38!!
I don't care for the mags sticking out so far either. I carry at least 1 additional mag with me. If I need more than 17, I'm in deep doodoo anyway.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I have 3 SS CMC 8 rd mags. Do not trust them, they have problems with slide lock back.
All other mags CM Mil spec, & are 7 rd & work very well.

I don't mind the mag sticking out the bottom, like on the MP5, but hey what ya need the mono pod on your 1911 for?

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
Wondering if they work in any full size 1911? If so, why haven't they taken over the world?
No 10 round mag has been more than moderately popular. I have four Colts that run fine. They only see range use now and then.

MecGar mags are extremely high quality, Love them.

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
I had one 10 round mag that went in the trash, nothing but problems! I only use 7 or 8 round Wilson, Tripp or McCormick mags for any of my guns regardless of caliber.

All other types of firearms get factory branded mags, Sigs get Sig mags, CZ gets CZ, Glock gets real Glock mags, Coonan gets Coonan (when I can find them for less than the current $250+++ each they're selling for) etc etc

All ARs get Pmags

MFIC

Fanatic
Good point, I'm thinking strictly for the night stand and range, I have a 15 round .40 for a sig p226 and can hardly tell the difference, although the singee vs. double stack is probably why. Also, consider the added bonus if you are being attacked by multiple assailants you can defend your three simply by switching to Gangsta Grip (or nine, if a lefty)! Thanks,

MFIC

Fanatic
I had one 10 round mag that went in the trash, nothing but problems! I only use 7 or 8 round Wilson, Tripp or McCormick mags for any of my guns regardless of caliber.

All other types of firearms get factory branded mags, Sigs get Sig mags, CZ gets CZ, Glock gets real Glock mags, Coonan gets Coonan (when I can find them for less than the current $250+++ each they're selling for) etc etc

All ARs get Pmags
My understanding is Sig Sauer contracts all its mags to Mec Gar, so the difference is the label on the side which could effect resale and general feeling of badassness.

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
I know and that's fine. I figure there's a reason the manufacturer picks who they do to make their mags and that is good enough for me to use them also. There's just too many hack mag manufacturers to take a chance on what your getting. If you are 100% confident on whom manufacturers what for who and can get a deal then I say go for it.

My way gives me peace of mind. I KNOW when I buy the guns branded mags I get their quality, no questions and I don't have to figure out who actually makes them. Do I spend a few bucks more than I need to? Absolutely I know I do, but I'm comfortable with that.

Glock is one of the more prevalent examples of a crappy aftermarket. My son has had a Glock for quite some time and has purchased those $9.99 "factory style" mags and they pretty much all suck butt, I bought him a few actual Glock brand mags and he has had no issues.
remember….Buy once Cry once!

We'll spend upwards of many thousand of dollars on a firearm (God knows I have and do) but cheap out to save a few dollars on mags or holsters or any other item?? Doesn't make sense unless the end use defines it.
Like I'm not a sniper, long range hunter or a tactical dude so $4 round hunting ammo for my .308 or a $3000 scope on my $1200 rifle just doesn't make sense to me! I'm better off for my purposes buying a good quality decent optic, good mags that I know will work and reasonably priced (what is that anymore) ammo and practicing as much as time allows.

Lefty319

Fanatic
My Springfield EMP mags all say mec-gar and run fine. I have a about 10 mec-gar for my Sig 229 and they run fine also. I believe they make a quality product.

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
Few years back I used to shoot IDPA with 10 rd Wilson Combat mags, wasn't IDPA legal of course but only semi automatic pistol I had, could have shot CDP but I really sucked at changing mags, just shot local club matches with it until got my Desert Eagle 9mm 1911. The 10 rounders ran fine and like everyone else never heard of 11 round mag, did order a 15 rd mag just for heck of it just to see if would work, one range trip and couldn't get it in trash can fast enough, we have a match here called CPSL which is kinda like USPSA except little more forgiving, hit on A, B or C is good on USPSA targets and I used the 10 rounders in this again with no troubles

Latest posts