EDC

mcdaniel

Well-Known Fanatic
Hey guys/gals,

I just ordered a Maxpedition Jumbo to serve as a EDC/Diaper/kid/iPad bag. I have tried to use pockets, my briefcase, or mom's diaper bag, and I am ALWAYS either missing something or severely overloaded. This bag will allow me to carry a hi-cap 9mm ccw, iPad, diapers, food, first aid kit, flashlight, knife, and more in a compact size. So I will update when I get the bag in, should be a week or so before it hits the door as I opted for free shipping from amazon for my order.

I also ordered the Maxpedition CCW holster that velcros into the gun pocket as well as a streamlight stylus that I thought would fit really well in a EDC bag.

What do you EDC?

Parhams0508

Well-Known Fanatic
Here's what I use as a lunch bag/range bag/EDC:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BJ ... 01_s00_i00

The plastic bits have begun to break, but otherwise, it's a good, inexpensive bag. I bought it back in October 2010, and used it every day since. I have a couple of black trash bags, a mylar blanket, lighter, leather gloves in the front pocket. In the large, main pocket, I keep my pocket ESV Bible and a similar sized notebook for church. In the flap, I have a small FAK with clippers, tweezers, band aids and pain relievers. In the top portion of the flap, I carry an ace bandage and hand sanitizer. In the side pocket, I have two 13 round magazines (or one 13 round and one 16 round mag) for my Springfield XD SC, 9mm, along with a pair of Gerber mulitool pliers.

I've played around with it a good bit: I can squeeze five 13 round mags in that side pocket (and probably the same amount in 16 round'ers, if I had that many), three mags will comfortably stay in the flap pouch, and maybe two in the raised pouch on top. You can easily put five or six 30 round AR mags in the main pocket, or a quart sized Tupperware container. This bag would be perfect for a first responder's kit, or an armed response kit.

I've had to take 550 cord and wrap it around the buckle that clasps the sling portion to the actual bag; it broke this summer during my church's VBS.

I like my bag, but when I replace it, I'm going with something that isn't so one-sided; it's comfortable carrying it over your left shoulder, but not your right. If I have that thing loaded down, which isn't hard to do, then it will become uncomfortable in about an hour or so.

mcdaniel

Well-Known Fanatic
I thought about a 2 strapped bag, but bought the 1 strapped bag for 1 main reason. I have 13 month old, that i am carrying a ton of the time. Moving the bag to one side should keep him out of it wile letting me get to the inside for what I should need, whether its a gun. or in a much more likely scenario, some cheerios.

This is it, similar to what you carry,

http://www.amazon.com/Maxpedition-0324- ... pack+jumbo

Parhams0508

Well-Known Fanatic
I hear you on that; my 7 month old daughter is just now starting to lean towards and grab at things! She's getting quick at it, too!

The Maxpedition pack and the UTG are pretty much the same thing, with the exception that the Maxpedition one will probably outlast the UTG bag by a factor of 10!

mcdaniel

Well-Known Fanatic
Chalk this one up to my general buy-once-cry-once philosophy.

Once upon a time I skimped on a rechargeable drill. $50 I'll never get back. Ever since its been Dewalt.

Parhams0508

Well-Known Fanatic
I couldn't pass up a $25 bag with free shipping, though! (That's what I paid for it at the time.)

Yeah, when I buy another EDC, I'm definitely going to pay for quality.

Regulis7

Well-Known Fanatic
If you can afford Maxpedition products you wont regret the purchase, especially if its something that will see lots of hard field use.

Another alternative to the high end Maxpedition or the UTG is by Condo Tactical. Good quality materials and stitching and they hold up very well for civilian use. Price is on par with the UTG when I check them on Amazon and Ebay.

http://www.condoroutdoor.com/156_edc_bag.aspx

Enjay

Well-Known Fanatic
When I had toddlers my EDC was one of those reusable lunch bags containing just the essentials which I tucked in the stroller. I guess that I'm a bit of a minimalist when it comes to stuff to carry. Pretty much my wallet, keys, gun and phone are about it, the kindle is added when I'm going someplace where I can relax.
I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with off the body carry when children are around, but your mileage obviously varies :)

Have you watched the Limalife tactical diaper bag video? She just uploaded it and she uses the same bag that you purchased.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx7vWMNRfIg[/youtube]

mcdaniel

Well-Known Fanatic
I see your point about off body carry. However... (we all knew there would be a 'however' didn't we)

I carry a 380 constantly. That is my 100% of the time companion. I carry it in a rear pocket holster, much like a wallet. What I am look for in a EDC bag carry is a larger caliber mid-size (G19) to carry w/ extra mag and/or ammo.

My son is a year- in the car he is in a car seat, if we are out of the car he in a cart, arms, etc. At work he isn't there. With proper diligence he wont have access to that bag (at this age).

I have a bad back. I can carry certain things, but not others. I carry a fairly heavy briefcase for hours at certain trade shows. The strap cuts into my shoulder, but my back never hurts. There are times when I have a "tender back" usually of my own doing, and I cannot carry IWB concealed. This isn't a belt, holster, weight, etc issue. All of those things are taken care of. Its a back issue. That said- almost all the time its not an issue.

Also at work, waist carry can get in the way quite often. I dont waist carry anything- no phone, no keys, no knife/multitool. I work in a plant and lab and anything that sticks out catches on something constantly. The bag under my desk won't and I still have my 380 should need arise.

Hope this was at least a little informative to why I am making this EDC choice. Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Latest posts