Drop Leg Holsters

Chambers

actual GM
Are Drop Leg Holsters legal at OKCGC 3 gun matches?

http://ipsc.okcgunclub.org/docs/2010_okcgc_3gun_rules.pdf

7.2.3 The belt upon which the holster and magazine/speed loader pouches are attached
must be worn at waist level.

NL7CO

Well-Known Fanatic
http://ipsc.okcgunclub.org/docs/2010_okcgc_3gun_rules.pdf

7.2.3 The belt upon which the holster and magazine/speed loader pouches are attached
must be worn at waist level.

And where must the butt of the gun be in relation to that belt? Where must the magazines be in relation to that belt? A drop leg holster is attached to the belt, hangs down at a more natural grab level, and frees up space on the belt for more "stuff". Granted, I'm a big guy and have lots of room for "stuff"

NL7CO

Well-Known Fanatic
Sounds like it gas to be uspsa legal meaning no drop legs....

USPSA Multigun 2010 Rules:

MG 5.2.7:
Tie down holsters and holsters with the heel of the butt below the top of the
belt are allowed. All other provisions of 5.2.7 (including sub clauses) apply.

http://www.uspsa.org/rules/2010MGRULESV3.pdf page 6

Since the only place I intend to shoot 3 gun is OKCGC, only the OKCGC rules are important right now.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I'm sure Pinto will chime in eventually to clarify but drop leg holsters are almost always allowed in 3 gun. You may get your balls busted for being ATAS for using one though.

ChrisC

Revolver Division
I am curious why uspsa has such strict rules for their pistol comp holster if they allow them in three gun. figured the rational would be the same.

NL7CO

Well-Known Fanatic
I am curious why uspsa has such strict rules for their pistol comp holster if they allow them in three gun. figured the rational would be the same.

I think - my wholly unqualified opinion - is that there is very little movement in USPSA with the gun in the holster these days (when was the last time you saw an actual holster test in a USPSA competition? 1992 CO State Championships for me) and with the emphasis on speed, that they don't need tie-downs to keep the holster in place while moving. In our case, it's moving and concentrating on running a long gun with a holstered short gun. Of course, I could be way off base with this.

I will always observe competitors equipment when RO'ing local matches. If it isnt unsafe, then Ill just mention to them the possibility of the illegality of their equipment. At big matches, you bet theyre looking.

Drop-leg holsters are designed for shooting with body armor, and are slow-as-**** compared to belt holsters.

The lower the holster, the further you have to bring it up to shoot.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
I ran one for my first 3 gun because it's all I had. I won't ever do it again. Its for sale if anyone wants to buy it.

Spiff

Semi-Pro
They're slow and awkward, and now you've added more reciprocating mass to one leg which makes you run funny.

irons_shooter

TOLA Guy
I am not going to turn you away for using one. You will soon see why nobody uses them, but feel free. Our rules are modifications of the Superstition Mountain rules and I didn't change that one..

Latest posts