Doomsday Preppers show Teusdays @ 9:00pm

qwikshot

Well-Known Fanatic
On Nat. geo.

Got some cool ideas from the two episodes last week.
Coat eggs with mineral oil and they will keep in a cool dry place non refrigerated for up to a year and a half.
They ate some 9 month old eggs on the show.

Stay calm, it's only the community organizer. He only wants one more slice of your pizza

Schultz

Well-Known Fanatic
Personally I don't think the show is that great and there has already been problems with one of the so called preppers having their guns taken away. I see nothing wrong with preparation for storms, power outages, civil unrest, Whatever but I don't feel that it's real smart to let others know what you have an how much of it. IMO If you are "prepping" as they say, your doing it for yourself and family not for the whole world to see..

Enjay

Well-Known Fanatic
Schultz said:
I see nothing wrong with preparation for storms, power outages, civil unrest, Whatever but I don't feel that it's real smart to let others know what you have an how much of it. IMO If you are "prepping" as they say, your doing it for yourself and family not for the whole world to see..
I agree, I don't like sharing too many details publicly either, but if they want to share their ideas and methods I'm all for learning more and I have taught several people things I didn't even know I knew until they asked LOL.

As for the eggs you can store them that way (grandma used to rub them with a little vaseline and store them packed in hay in the root cellar for winter) and you'd be surprised how long a fresh egg will store without any preserving, usually a couple of weeks. Makes sense, the hen will fill her nest over a series of several days, sometimes weeks, so they have to stay viable until she's done and sits them. Waterglassing is also a good technique but the waterglass powder isn't easy to find any more.

C_Carson

Well-Known Fanatic
Schultz said:
Personally I don't think the show is that great and there has already been problems with one of the so called preppers having their guns taken away. I see nothing wrong with preparation for storms, power outages, civil unrest, Whatever but I don't feel that it's real smart to let others know what you have an how much of it. IMO If you are "prepping" as they say, your doing it for yourself and family not for the whole world to see..

+1

PCShogun

Well-Known Fanatic
I heard on the news last night that one of the "Stars" on the show has now been declared mentally unstable and has had his weapons confiscated by the gubmint. He has stated he is no longer a Prepper as he can no longer protect his location and refuses to prepare for someone else to simply come and take it from him.

Just another reason why OPSEC is the word of the day.

RyanEOD

Well-Known Fanatic
It is actually Operations Security, was a big thing in my Air Force days . . . pretty much means don't talk to people that you don't trust, and don't let things get out that you don't want people to know about.

HOLY DIVER

Well-Known Fanatic
RyanEOD said:
It is actually Operations Security, was a big thing in my Air Force days . . . pretty much means don't talk to people that you don't trust, and don't let things get out that you don't want people to know about.
don't put it on national TV?

fiundagner

Well-Known Fanatic
I guess I shouldn?t really expect anything else out of the New York Times, but the distinct F-you bent of this article, combined with the usually holier than thou attitude kind of pissed me off. Some of my favorite quotes are that you shouldn?t prep because ?what is the attraction of continuing to live in a world that will almost certainly not have television or the Internet? and ?What they [preppers] want is a license to open fire. The number of bullets sprayed around in these shows, by adults and even their children, might give Rambo a pause?

That last one kind of disturbs me, because I have not come away with that impression at all. Yes, guns are a part of the show. Yes, the show shows whole families going shooting. I have not yet seen anyone whip out full auto M60s and proceed to shoot up small towns, and I haven?t even seen a bow yet, let alone dynamite arrows. But, once again, what do you expect from the New York Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/12/arts/ ... shows.html

Black Widow

Fanatic
fiundagner said:
I guess I shouldn?t really expect anything else out of the New York Times, but the distinct F-you bent of this article, combined with the usually holier than thou attitude kind of pissed me off. Some of my favorite quotes are that you shouldn?t prep because ?what is the attraction of continuing to live in a world that will almost certainly not have television or the Internet? and ?What they [preppers] want is a license to open fire. The number of bullets sprayed around in these shows, by adults and even their children, might give Rambo a pause?

That last one kind of disturbs me, because I have not come away with that impression at all. Yes, guns are a part of the show. Yes, the show shows whole families going shooting. I have not yet seen anyone whip out full auto M60s and proceed to shoot up small towns, and I haven?t even seen a bow yet, let alone dynamite arrows. But, once again, what do you expect from the New York Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/12/arts/ ... shows.html

You are right - nothing more can be expected from the NYT - which feeds the mass public and thus the issues we find ourselves facing. I find it most disturbng that the articles seems to indicate that preppers are a bunch of racist, anti-life "full of contempt for humankind" folks. How outrageous and offensive!

PCShogun

Well-Known Fanatic
Yes, I can see where many will be offended by the authors statements. He misses much of what he is supposedly reporting on.

"Lots of gunfire on these shows", Yes, because that is the producer trying to get people to watch what would otherwise be a boring show. Try sitting through 30 minutes of "Die hard" after you've removed the explosions and gunfire. Guns and Gunfire make good tv apparently. Being in a media business, he should know that.

"Who would want to live in a world that doesn't have . . . . " This quote actually made me feel a bit better, knowing that he and his faithful readers will quickly slit their wrists in the event a disaster such as the preppers fear actually happens. He fails to understand, again, that most of the folks on this show are in the extreme, that most of us are prepping, not for armageddon (although we will be better prepared for that also) but for the shorter, local disaster of a tornado or hurricane. During Hurricane Hugo, I saw several folks begging people for ice, food, or dry milk for their children. That is what convinced me to be better prepared. I now have 3 gallons of dry milk in my stash; not just for me, but for those with small infants who will need milk.

There are always those who feel that if you do not think as I think, then there is something wrong with you. These are the same people who will complain about the lack of government response, lack of police protection, and where the Hell is FEMA during the next local disaster that hits them. And lets face it, some of the folks they get on these types of "reality" shows really are freaking crazy and do nothing to promote the message of "Be Prepared". They show the extreme edge to better entertain, to ridicule, and possibly, to promote their own agenda. Take away what you can from the show and articles, throw the rest away as worthless.

Midnight Raver

Well-Known Fanatic
Caught some of this show last night. They had an ex special forces vet on who was also training other people besides showing his "prepping". This stuff can definitely be taken the wrong way and feed paranoia even more. One could even say it could be a propaganda tool for liberal/anti gun sentiments. No surprise that the guy in an earlier post had his guns taken away, but then again it may just as well have been for the better. It is one thing to prepare for emergencies and have multiple contingency plans, but setting up what can be seen as Militia cells begs for attention and reaction. It certainly is a fine line to walk these days...

Scary times we live in. I wish the whole country could pull it all together and have things right somehow.

Regulis7

Well-Known Fanatic
I have watched each episode of Doomsday Prepper's, I like the concept of the show but feel some of those who appeared on the show are a bit eccentric and some down right wacky, remember the seed guy who thinks the radiation from Fukashima is gonna wipe out our crop base here in the US.

Latest posts