Does my AR need to be on a diet

sonny74

Well-Known Fanatic
I almost finish building my ar. And after adding the weight of all the parts, it is exactly 8 pounds. After I put a scope on it, it will be about 9.5 pounds. Is that too heavy for 3 gun competition. I use the DPMS Mini SASS barrel. It is a 18" mid length gas, fluted stainless heavy barrel. I really like how it look.

irons_shooter

TOLA Guy
Weight is all dependent on the operator. Some like heavy guns. If it feels like it is not slowing you down, use it. There really is not maximum weight. I like a medium weight rifle myself. The right balance between fast and soft.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
My 18" JP CTR-02 weights in at 9.0 lbs with the Optic on board. It is 7.4 lbs without glass.

sonny74

Well-Known Fanatic
Just finished with it. Weight the whole thing again and it weight 9.2lbs with the scope. It feels a little heavier than my 16" carbine but not that bad. The hand guard is a YHM Customizable and it weight 12oz.

Attachments

• IMG_1549.JPG
    IMG_1549.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_1550.JPG
    IMG_1550.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 92

sonny74

Well-Known Fanatic
Yeah, you're right. It is a spector length tube. I thought it would cover the gas block a little bit more being 1inch longer than the mid length tube. Well, I might use this tube for my 16" and get a rifle length tube for the 18". Maybe a carbon fiber tube.

Chambers

actual GM
After I put a scope on it, it will be about 9.5 pounds. Is that too heavy for 3 gun competition.

Whether it's too heavy or not depends entirely on you. When I started getting serious about 3-gun/action rifle I found that I wanted basically the lightest rig I could make with a 20" barrel. If you are straining or getting fatigued by handling the rifle, you're not going to be relaxed enough to make good shots.

I strongly recommend that you start shooting matches before changing a single thing on your rifle. Your preferences will change a lot. Those DPMS barrels are nice, but there's about a pound of extra material on that barrel. My primary rifle has a 20" turned down to LW profile and the gun weighs less than most 16".

Yeah, you're right. It is a spector length tube. I thought it would cover the gas block a little bit more being 1inch longer than the mid length tube. Well, I might use this tube for my 16" and get a rifle length tube for the 18". Maybe a carbon fiber tube.

I have both the Clark and DPMS carbon fiber handguards. I like the design of the DPMS better even though the Clark is ever so slightly lighter. You're welcome to check them out at the March 3-gun match. I agree with Mike that you want the longest tube you can get. I'd have a 15" PRI if I wasn't such a cheap ass, but the 12" rifle length tubes are still great.

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
Weight doesn't matter much as long as the balance is between the hands...around the mag well. My M-14 weighs just a bit under 11.5 pounds and my Ar around 7.5 (iron sight) both drive about the same as they aren't muzzle or butt heavy. The advice Chambers has given is spot on, so I would go with what you have and then decide latter if you want to do anything! KurtM

sonny74

Well-Known Fanatic
After taking the above rifle to OKCGC and ran some different drills, this rifle seem so heavy to me. It felt very sluggish going from target to target and my arms was burning only after a fews minutes.

Anyway, I decided to go a different route. Here is my new setup and this ran like a dream; light, fast and soft.

- Lilja-Nordic 16" 1/8 mid gas.
- Nordic Corvette Comp.
- JP adjustable gas block.
- Clark carbon fiber handguard.

Latest posts