Does it matter where I put the barrel clamp?

runawaygun762

Well-Known Fanatic
I got my VM back today and I have an 8 round extension with a 22" barrel, so the barrel clamp groove is right at the muzzle. Does it matter where I put the clamp? I assume putting it fairly close to the muzzle, just back from the front bead, will give the tube better strength for the dump bucket, but is there something I'm overlooking?

Robaire Pullicar

arch-nemesis
I'm far from a shotgun expert. But it took me two range sessions patterning slugs to realize my clamp was changing my POI enough that I quit using one. I would put it where you want it and then make sure it's POI hasn't changed. Then go from there

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
I'd say just leave it off. I have seen way to many people overtighten it so that it shifts POI, or undertighten it so it comes off during the course of fire. You really don't need it.

If it's a std versamax with a Nordic extension, then I'd run the clamp just aft of the nut, 1.5" or so, just to strengthen up the connection. The vm stock tube doesnt have that many threads. It's good insurance

runawaygun762

Well-Known Fanatic
Now I'm left with a question that I guess is dumb, but I'm too dumb to know; how does a barrel clamp affect the POI of a slug that won't be used much past 100 yards? I can see how it would if you aren't using a rear sight and need the barrel to line up with the receiver the same, but if I am running an XS rear and the front bead both on the vent rib, how does a barrel clamp change anything?

I'm not trying to be contradictory, I really don't know.

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
If you overtighten or unevenly tighten the clamp it can tweak the barrel or the extension. It's enough to cause slugs to be off, and can cause feeding issues as it can cause the tube to bind up.

Robaire Pullicar

arch-nemesis
Wall said:
not that anybody reads them, but if it's a Nordic extension this is covered in the instructions that come with it.
#2 & #6
attachicon.gif
MXT Instructions.pdf
good point Tony my shotgun came with the clamp installed already so I didn't receive any instructions but that is good info I will have to try again

Corey

Well-Known Fanatic
Wall said:
not that anybody reads them, but if it's a Nordic extension this is covered in the instructions that come with it.
#2 & #6
MXT Instructions.pdf
Tks Tony for that piece of info, even tho I have not fired the shotgun in a year.

I wonder what percentage of shooters have read #6 0.0001% or less.
I know one person (not me lol)that shot 3 gun for a year before he knew to trim the spring. He just knew one less slug would fit compared to bird shot. Once he trimmed the spring he was like OMG it is so much easier to load. Back then spring trimming discussions came up all the time, not sure how he missed that part.

bigsampson

Well-Known Fanatic
+1 throw the barrel clamp away.
It will be a pain every time you clean and will change your slug poi every time you take it off and put it back on.

Hank Coates said:
+1 throw the barrel clamp away.
It will be a pain every time you clean and will change your slug poi every time you take it off and put it back on.
You willing to pay for bent tubes if someone takes your advice? And if you install a clamp properly it doesn't affect poa

RigPig

Well-Known Fanatic
mike cyrwus said:
You willing to pay for bent tubes if someone takes your advice? And if you install a clamp properly it doesn't affect poa
Agree. I've installed clamps on 4 of my shotguns per NC's instructions and have had no issues. Nordic recommends to thread the tube into the nut and leave it a little loose so it floats in the threads. Never had one affect POI.

Latest posts