Do you always put two in the target?

runawaygun762

Well-Known Fanatic
With most 3 gun matches requiring one A or B or two anywhere, is it best to fire two at everything and rely on quick splits, or do you look at each target in the walk through and plan on shooting only once if it's an easy A? I ask this because the Area 3 multigun match had lots of very close, full value targets and I shot most of them with two each, but on some of them that were part of a four-target array, I went for one on each and made makeup shots as needed (or in one case, when I didn't need to).

It seems to make more sense to simplify things by putting two in everything and letting fast split times trump precision on many of these stage, but it also seems like split times add up and if you engage even 4 tagets at .20 splits, that's nearly a second on one array, plus the rounds being expended that may help eliminate a reload. I know this is getting into the weeds on stage planning, but I'd like to know how you folks approach this aspect.

toothandnail

Well-Known Fanatic
Well, since I shoot open and usually don't have to worry about reloads . . . .

I always try and put 2, in looking at targets afterward, many times my first is an A, but I'd rather take the .2 on another shot than risk a +5 or +10 for a FTN

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
2 quickies is usually faster than a well aimed single.

Travis Colford

Well-Known Fanatic
Might as well pop in two quickies then wasting time to make sure it is one solid hit I always found that to be the best logic for me at least.

wgm2011

Well-Known Fanatic
For your next practice session, set up a simple stage with 5 or 6 targets. Keep it simple but not too easy. Maybe include some movement,

Pick which targets you feel a single "A" is probable and shoot the stage with one shot on the chosen targets and two shots on the remainder of the targets. Score the stage.

Then repeat with the plan on putting two hits on all the targets. Again score the stage and compare it with the first run.

In my case, with the handgun I will do better putting two shots toward each target. With the rifle, I can sometimes improve my score if the "one shot" targets are almost at contact range. Otherwise, two shots per target will win out.

I've also found that I do better going into the stage knowing I will be shooting two shots per target instead of planning on target X, Y & Z will only get one shot and all others two shots. Just one less thing to think about once the buzzer has gone off. Its just a little mental thing that works for me.

As you improve your skills, you may in time be able to get by with one shot per target. A little time at the range will tell if you are ready.

Bill

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
One for rifle head shots or zebra targets or stuff inside 20 yards that requires hard aiming, one for pistol or rifle paper inside 5 yards of I'm standing still.

wgm2011

Well-Known Fanatic
I enjoy watching the Pro Events on 3-Gun Nation tv if for no other reason than to see just how the pros handle a stage.

This afternoon's show was the first several stages at 2014 Pro Event #2.

One stage had the competitors transition to the pistol then advance down a 20 yard long (my estimate) runway with paper targets evenly spaced along the left and right side of the runway. Most shooters moved quickly putting two shots into each target. They appeared to engage each target from around 3 yards or less (again my piss poor estimate).

Daniel Horner of the AMU made a stage winning run saving time on splits and a reload by shooting each target (successfully) with only one shot each. In an interview after smoking the stage he admitted it was a risky plan, but with his skill level, he pulled it off.

Though others may have also shot the stage this way, only Daniel made it into the show. But to me it shows that if you got the skills, you can do it. It also shows that even if you got the skills, it may not be worth the risk.

Practice like its a match then shoot the matches like you did in practice.

Bill

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Flatland Shooter said:
I enjoy watching the Pro Events on 3-Gun Nation tv if for no other reason than to see just how the pros handle a stage.

This afternoon's show was the first several stages at 2014 Pro Event #2.

One stage had the competitors transition to the pistol then advance down a 20 yard long (my estimate) runway with paper targets evenly spaced along the left and right side of the runway. Most shooters moved quickly putting two shots into each target. They appeared to engage each target from around 3 yards or less (again my piss poor estimate).

Daniel Horner of the AMU made a stage winning run saving time on splits and a reload by shooting each target (successfully) with only one shot each. In an interview after smoking the stage he admitted it was a risky plan, but with his skill level, he pulled it off.

Though others may have also shot the stage this way, only Daniel made it into the show. But to me it shows that if you got the skills, you can do it. It also shows that even if you got the skills, it may not be worth the risk.

Practice like its a match then shoot the matches like you did in practice.

Bill
There is a lot to be learned watching the show. It has been the best way for all of us to see why Daniel is a step ahead of everyone. I know I've gotten trying to emulate his shooting style.

That's part of the stage was a classic case of knowing your abilities and capitalizing on that knowledge.

runawaygun762

Well-Known Fanatic
That is actually one of the shows that caused me to do the same thing at the Area 3 match, but instead of running and gunning, it was an array of four full-value targets right out the passenger window of an Explorer and the shooter started the stage in the driver's seat with the pistol on the passenger seat. It was the same stage they had during a club-level match. The first time, I braced hard against the gas pedal, twisted my whole body, and put two in each two-handed. Afterward, I discovered I had two rounds stacked on each other in the A zone of each, so during the Area 3 match, I put one in each one handed. I had one I couldn't immediately see the hit and another that I made a pickup shot that I didn't need to. 8 rounds vs 6, plus avoiding a contorted position made that faster.

I think that situation is an obvious single per, but I think I'll try the idea of mini stages and time the difference on different sizes and positions of targets, stationary and while moving.

Latest posts