Do lasers help on a carry gun?

Pstmstr

magnum snubby
I have a Crimson Trace laser mounted on my Kahr PM9 and also a S&W 340 M&P snubby. I've been playing around with both at the Heartland CARRY GUN match and am still undecided for sure but have some observations for discussion. Last night, I shot a Glock 26 with regular night sights in an appendix carry, Kytac holster and the snubby in the same type except it has the CT laser. Both guns were under a shirt tail with reloads on the belt for the Glock and in my shirt pocket for the snubby. I shot the Glock 38 seconds faster than the snubby overall but had 30 seconds of penalties versus only 6 seconds for the snubby. I also went 5 for 5 on the plates with it on Stage 1. I'm left eye dominant and right handed. I shoot the Glock with right eye closed and the laser snubby with both eyes open looking only at the dot.
Saying all that to say this, is the laser a good option for concealed carry? Can one shoot more accurately at self defense ranges under a bit of stress with it?As the commercial says, "is it more effective under unconventional positions?
My next test is shooting the snubby with the laser turned on and as a second gun with it turned off, probably a better comparison overall. What do you think?

Jeff T.

Well-Known Fanatic
I am Blind in my right eye, that makes me left eye dominant, I shoot pistols right handed.
I carry a glock 27 or a XDM Compact 3.8, Both .40, both with Crimson Trace Lasers.
I shoot one or the other at Heartland almost every time. I always leave the lasers off until it comes to low light anything.
A couple weeks ago we had to shoot laying on right side, through an opening at 6 plastic plates, low light, with a strobe light going. When you stuck your gun through the opening, it disappeared. I turned the laser on and went 6 for 6 on the plates.
For this reason only I have the laser. It's better to have and not need then need and not have. Hope I never need it.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
The one guy on our squad that had a laser on his gun rocked the dark stage while i sprayed bullets and missed 2/3 of the targets. It made me decide to start bring my truck, nightstand, and pocket pistols to try at the match. No more race guns for me. Those things will get you killed onthe street.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
The one guy on our squad that had a laser on his gun rocked the dark stage while i sprayed bullets and missed 2/3 of the targets. It made me decide to start bring my truck, nightstand, and pocket pistols to try at the match. No more race guns for me. Those things will get you killed onthe street.
What about your sock gun, you try that one yet?

Pstmstr

magnum snubby

Dang, say it ain't so, a carry gun at the carry gun match. I'll believe it when I see it, some of you race gun guys just can't help yourselves. It's like a NASCAR guy driving in a school zone for you.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Dang, say it ain't so, a carry gun at the carry gun match. I'll believe it when I see it, some of you race gun guys just can't help yourselves. It's like a NASCAR guy driving in a school zone for you.
I hate school zones :angry:

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
I dont have a lot of time with laser sights... but what time I've spent with them...

Seems like I got fixated on the dot. Point shooting and flash sight picture seems to work better for me- especially for close distant shooting. Of course- getting some sights and glasses that allow me to focus the front sight helped a lot also.

One thing I have noticed- outdoors in daylight works a lot better for me. I have a lot harder time finding sights against the target at Heartland the way it's lit.

Right handed, right eye dominate and I can shoot with both eyes open.

The minimum school zone fine in Tulsa is $300, don't ask how I know this. :angry:

Guthrie is $450... and they like to hide the yellow flashers behind trees.

Pstmstr

magnum snubby
Yeah, I've found it considerably cheaper just to watch for the signs and drive 25. Lasers are good for low light, where most self defense shootings seem to occur. I wonder if Crimson Trace will start sponsoring me soon? Kind of doubt it but I'd settle for free hat or shirt.

argyle64

Well-Known Fanatic
When I patrolled I would always sit near school zones and but the speeders. I have zero tolerance for school zone speeders.

Pstmstr

magnum snubby
When I patrolled I would always sit near school zones and but the speeders. I have zero tolerance for school zone speeders.

Didn't internal affairs take a dim view of you butting the speeders? :sarcastichand: I think one should drive 25 in a school zone as well, but some of them aren't marked very clearly. And the times are kind of weird on the one in my neighborhood. I usually chat with a couple of the motor guys at Starbucks each morning, they finish up school zone ticketing about 9:15 and head to their breaks. Pretty good guys overall but I think they could also see if they can slow down the I35 traffic in the 19th street area to about 90 mph or less. Now back to the topic at hand, what do you guys think of lasers on personal defense handguns.

argyle64

Well-Known Fanatic
LOL. I'm talking about school zones when you can clearly see children in the area and there are big flashing amber lights on large poles. Hell, there are even lights in the road flashing so you can see you need to slow down.

I was told by an instructor a long time ago. "A laser just shows you where you're gong to miss." I'm not a fan of them but that doesn't mean it can't work for you.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
Lasers can be a good thing in the right hands, but too many people rely on them and throw out good trigger control. If you jerk the trigger, your round isn't going to hit what you think it will and I think that's where most people are confused about the "awesomeness" of the laser sights.

Pstmstr

magnum snubby
Lasers can be a good thing in the right hands, but too many people rely on them and throw out good trigger control. If you jerk the trigger, your round isn't going to hit what you think it will and I think that's where most people are confused about the "awesomeness" of the laser sights.

true, like on the plates, if you put the dot on them, then control the trigger, it's a hit, if your laser is adjusted to the right point of aim. I find it causes me to focus more on the heavy double action trigger on the snubby.

Bubber

Well-Known Fanatic
Just my thoughts, the more you get the same grip on the gun and shoot thegun, the more it will help. But all the lazer soes is make you see better. The better you see the better you CAN shoot. Seen to many times that the shooter uses the lazer as a crutch thinking if you have it on you can just naturally shoot better. You have to do your part. My opinions only.

Latest posts