Delrin or Polypropylene front sight tool- Not out there

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Apparently there isn't a Delrin or Polypropylene front sight tool for an AR/M4 yet. I find this hard to believe. I'd be willing to bet that if someone started a business making finish-friendly and usable gun tools, they'd make a fortune. Perhaps not a trillion-dollar fortune, but certainly a few millions.

honeybee

Well-Known Fanatic
Problem is that most of these sights are so tight that they would tear up any kind of plastic.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
I didn't know that, since I'm an AR newbie. That being said, my front sight post is pretty easy to adjust, and would definitely turn with a plastic tool.

Chambers

actual GM
:rolleyes: If the finish on the lower part of your front sight post bothers you, 3-gun isn't for you.

It isn't a soufflé!

I use a bullet tip to adjust sights. Don't even really see the need for a sight tool.

JoeBobOutfitters.com

Well-Known Fanatic
Apparently there isn't a Delrin or Polypropylene front sight tool for an AR/M4 yet. I find this hard to believe. I'd be willing to bet that if someone started a business making finish-friendly and usable gun tools, they'd make a fortune. Perhaps not a trillion-dollar fortune, but certainly a few millions.
An A2Sight Tool is like $7.50, for a tool you "really" don't need all that much, if ever after sighting it. You can use a bullet tip or multiple other items to make do. I don't think the market is there at all when metal tools are $7.50...

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
I know I'll be beating my gun up competing, but a product billed as non-marring and cheap is a great gimmick for sales. All you'd need is an old screw machine with good bearings and a small milling head, or an extra setup for two cross-cuts to create the nubs. Or injection molding or 3D printing. So many tools could be produced this way, I'm surprised no one is doing it yet. There are plenty of good plastics and resins that could be used as round barstock, too. Maybe I should have tossed this into a production machining or product design forum.

JoeBobOutfitters.com

Well-Known Fanatic
I know I'll be beating my gun up competing, but a product billed as non-marring and cheap is a great gimmick for sales. All you'd need is an old screw machine with good bearings and a small milling head, or an extra setup for two cross-cuts to create the nubs. Or injection molding or 3D printing. So many tools could be produced this way, I'm surprised no one is doing it yet. There are plenty of good plastics and resins that could be used as round barstock, too. Maybe I should have tossed this into a production machining or product design forum.

Ehh..not all gimmicks work for sales. From a retailer standpoint, ex-military, and a normal "gun guy" I don't see the need for it in any of the capacities I've used an AR-15/M16. It might take off and be the next best thing....but I don't see it happening unless it's price point was ~$3-$5, and then the money may not be in it for the retailers and manufacturer.

Latest posts