Cutting the Foam in my Pelican Gun Case

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Jesse, the easiest & cleanest (precise) way to cut the foam is with a hotwire.
But if you don't have any experience in make a hotwire you shouldn't try it without some help.
I've not had much luck with razor blades or scissors or a knife, but lots of people do.

KillShot

Well-Known Fanatic
Pyplynr used an electric knife and a razor blade. I'm sure he'll comment on this thread when he takes notice of it.

KillShot

Well-Known Fanatic
Check these links out.

Sniper's Hide - How To

Hot Wire Foam Cutter

41PYgZuwrPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Hot wire accessories & tools

Hot Wire Foam Factory

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
I heard if you freeze it then cut it makes a cleaner edge. No first hand experience however.

pyplynr

Well-Known Fanatic
Best way to make a foam hot wire cutter http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=292695&page=1

I will eventually build one when I start to work back around home in a few weeks.

I used pretty much the same steps as the link above but used an electric carving knife instead of the hot wire. The knife cuts through the foam like butter. If you go this route then take your time and try to use straight line wherever you can. Cutting the curves was a *****.

When I get the time I'm going to get another stack of foam and build a hot wire cutter like the above link. Already have the parts, except the wire. Planning on making interchangeable center sections for different weapons.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
BTW: There's a place right by H&H that sells gun case foam.
I've not bought any from them so I don't know what kind or how much.
I just see their small sign each time I go to H&H.
They're right at the T intersection of the street that leads in from the hotel & the street that leads in from Night Trips.