Cutting a Recoil spring?

Feegee

The Magic Man
I have read on forums that some people cut some coils off there recoil springs. Is this a good idea? I was thinking about getting a couple of springs and playing with them, anyone have any experience on this?

Sent from (NULL) Feegee's iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
I did it a while back with a spare spring on a Beretta 92fs to get it to reliably run when I had a can on it without a nielson device.

I don't know that I would suggest it otherwise, especially with the plethora of reduced power springs on the market.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Feegee, I have a spare 15lbs ISMI Glock recoil spring, and I don't have a Glock. You can have it if you want it.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
I just gotta ask why would you want to cut a spring? I've put a Dremel to a few springs and for the most part I end up getting more of the springs I cut on LOL sometimes though it all works out just gotta figure out what direction your wanting to go then ask do I need to go there? Later,

Kirk

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
i have cut a few (way back when) with a bench grinder... if you have a wheel dresser and a wheel with a nice square edge, steady hand and good eye... it can be done. Just a nick and the spring will break off.

Old timers use to thin Smith and Wesson and Colt SAA springs...runs a risk of drawing the temper (over heating) and you never know how much is enough without trial and error.

I'd just as soon ORDER a few from midway

Feegee

The Magic Man
You guys got a point. I need to see what spring I have now and order a couple more and play around with weights. The thing about cutting them down was I have herd of people doing this, and needed to know the pros and cons.

Sent from (NULL) Feegee's iPhone using Tapatalk

zombiegirl

Well-Known Fanatic
We ended up cutting 5 coils off my recoil spring in my Glock. Finally lightened it up a bit. However I decided to just order the stuff to modify my gen 4 to use gen 3 springs and rod. Works like a champ now!

We just cut a coil off at a time and then shoot it and cut again till I got it where it was manageable. I didn't like the double recoil spring on my gen 4 which is why I changed it out completely.

Latest posts