Crazy Fast 9mm!!! 2600 FPS!!! Watermelon Test

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
Got the 50 gr. JHP bullets..they're mean -looking.. ( wide ) hollow point.
.Sorta looks like a Winchester Silvertip bullet they used to sell.
Too bad, I just finished loading a batch of 9mms & switched my dies , shell plate, powder funnel, & ( & primers)on my press,
for loading 45's next. Might be awhile before I get some of those 50 gr. bullets loaded. Have to come up with a load to try.
I did contact Shooter's World (gun powder) to see if they'd recommend a powder or charge, for a 50gr. bullet in a 9mm case,
got a response they don't have any data on that bullet. Said he'd forward my request to their ballistician ..

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Too bad, I just finished loading a batch of 9mms & switched my dies , shell plate, powder funnel, & ( & primers)on my press,
for loading 45's next. Might be awhile before I get some of those 50 gr. bullets loaded. Have to come up with a load to try.
I did contact Shooter's World (gun powder) to see if they'd recommend a powder or charge, for a 50gr. bullet in a 9mm case,
got a response they don't have any data on that bullet. Said he'd forward my request to their ballistician ..
Let us know what you find out.

philmo11

Well-Known Fanatic
Now you're just teasing us

dennishoddy

Interested as well in the .380 rounds, and I loved the performance of the Liberty Civil Defense 9mm ammo. I'm going to be a customer.
I've always been a defender of light waspy bullets at hyper speeds in my rifles. Yeah, I've got the 30-06 and .270 bolt guns but when the .243 WSSM came out and it was offered in the AR platform as it should have been at its inception vs a bolt gun where it had issues with feeding, it would probably still be on the market today.
The gun manufactures in all of their wisdom put out a round with a feed ramp in a bolt gun that wouldn't support the angle of the case neck causing issues and it quickly died away.
As per the liberty video's lighter is faster and creates more damage. I've shot hundreds of deer as part of my normal deer hunting as well as assisting in Deer Management Assistance Programs known as DMAP here in Oklahoma.
Done a personal autopsy on all of my deer and a ton of other deer as a volunteer for youth hunting programs on private ranches.
Bullet performance in a real living animal has always been my main interest vs clay blocks and ballistic gel and I've experimented with lots of loads, calibers, and bullets since starting reloading in 1982.
.270, 30-06, .300 Savage, .223/5.56, .22-250, 7mm mag, and a couple of others I don't remember. LOL.
Lots of variables' in living things. Documented instances where an officers badge deflected a bullet and so on.
Ribs, bones, skin, etc in living things vs the gel.
In all of my testing two calibers/3 bullets have stood out to be devastating with the greatest internal damage resulting in pretty much an instant kill. I'm sure there may be more, but this is my findings.
In what the pups today say is Grandpa's cartridge, the 30-06 using the Sierra Hollow Point Boat Tail Game King absolutely destroys the internals of a deer sized animal. Everything inside around the vitals is mush.
I've tried a dozen other bullets and they all run aways before death. The hydrostatic shock of those Sierra bullets is impressive.
I'm an elk hunter as well. The 30-06 with 165 grain copper Barnes TTSX perform the same on elk. Never had an elk take a step after getting hit with one of them even at 400+ yards. They create so much damage while retaining all their weight. I've recovered one bullet from over 400 yards and it retained 96% of it's weight, all the rest were complete pass throughs.
Now to the .243 WSSM. Chose it because it's short action and would fit the AR-15 platform.
Spent a little change with DT systems getting the Douglas match grade barrel they hand lap before building the AR upper. One in 1:8 twist for heavier bullets and the other in 1:12 twist for really fast lighter bullets.
Using the 6mm bullets in 90 grains using RL-19 powder, I'm able to get just under 3400 fps using Norma ballistic tip bullets. They kill a deer pretty good and destroy coyotes.
On the other hand the 1:12 twist using Norma 55 grain ballistic tip varmint bullets totally devastate deer at 4190 fps over the chrono. It kills them way out there.
I have a complete AR system on the shelf waiting to be built but I can't find anything that will out perform the .243 WSSM. What an amazing cartridge that will outperform all the new manbun 6.5 Creedmoor's and so on.
Since this is a 1911 forum, I have killed two deer with a Kimber 1911 in .45 ACP, as well as a bobcat that happened to walk under my stand. The Hornady SST HP round performed very well, resulting in three kills. Took a bit of tracking to find them though, but they did expire within 50 yards which is about 5 seconds of running for them.
.45 Colt has put a couple in the freezer as well from a S&W revo.
I'll be using a 10mm possibly this deer season with underwood copper ammo.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I don't know how reliable that light of a bullet will operate the slide on a 1911. It would cost a lot of $$$ to prove it out for a SD round on your guns. I'm sticking to what I use.

Just a quick note. I have shot as light as 117gr all aluminum bullets through my 1911s & other 45acp pistols.
The Aguila 45acp 117gr IQ rounds no longer available, they were a 3 section aluminum HP that was claimed to have explosive impact in flesh
& fold in pernitrate automobile windshields. No problems with firing this round through the various 45 acp pistols. I do not carry this round.

I watched a bunch of video's on the 5.7 with light weight hi vel bullets & then came back to earth.
For me, the big fat slow 45acp with a 230 gr FMJ @ 850 fps is the ticket to my survival.

We can imagine having bullets for SD that will blow the lungs out of Bad guys, but the truth is Bullets work by Shock.
Bigger heavier slow moving bullets have plenty of Shocking power & hurt a lot.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Just a quick note. I have shot as light as 117gr all aluminum bullets through my 1911s & other 45acp pistols.
The Aguila 45acp 117gr IQ rounds no longer available, they were a 3 section aluminum HP that was claimed to have explosive impact in flesh
& fold in pernitrate automobile windshields. No problems with firing this round through the various 45 acp pistols. I do not carry this round.

I watched a bunch of video's on the 5.7 with light weight hi vel bullets & then came back to earth.
For me, the big fat slow 45acp with a 230 gr FMJ @ 850 fps is the ticket to my survival.

We can imagine having bullets for SD that will blow the lungs out of Bad guys, but the truth is Bullets work by Shock.
Bigger heavier slow moving bullets have plenty of Shocking power & hurt a lot.
Yessssss, thank you! I'm thinking if the stuff hits the rotating blades, I'll most likely depend on 230 hard ball. I have hp for them, but with a .451diamater projectile, I am one of those who appreciates penetration. If I have a hollow point that expands great, just more disruption, but I do not use +p and so the difference to me is probably not that great. I remember shooting with my son once a few years ago. He had a Beretta 92, I had a 1911. We used a wood pallet to hang the targets on, and fired into a hill right behind it. When the 9mm hit the pallet, it put 9mm holes in it, when the 45 hardball hit, the wood just flew. I laughed, and said the nine puts nice holes in the wood, the 45 blows the wood apart, lol!
I love 9mm, but would definitely carry hp ammo for self protection. Truth be told I carry the nine a lot more.
Just trying to find the best holster to carry my Commander so that It hides well.

Let the comments begin. ;-)

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I remember shooting with my son once a few years ago. He had a Beretta 92, I had a 1911. We used a wood pallet to hang the targets on, and fired into a hill right behind it. When the 9mm hit the pallet, it put 9mm holes in it, when the 45 hardball hit, the wood just flew.

Years ago Colt sold a small 3" bbl 1911 the Colt Offices 1911. My friend & I had different JMB pistols so why not do a test?
Shooting at upright building blocks I shot first & my 230gr ball went through the first side & tossed the whole block backwards 8'.

Next was Dons turn & he shot 3 of the building blocks into sand with his Browning Hi power with 124gr fmj bullets.
Proving to Don how superior the 9mm was to the 45acp once & for all. Until I said, hey Don don't you think the 45acp imparted more energy into the
target than the hi velocity small diameter 9mm did?

Don had a big collage edu with all kinds of letters & he prided himself in his logic.
Damn he said your right the 45 knocked the whole building block backwards 8' & the 9mm just zipped through so fast not imparting as much energy.

Big slow bullets dwell longer in the target thus imparting more energy in the target than smaller faster bullets do.

Latest posts