CONSTITUTIONAL CARRY! We got it, Now what?

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
The last revision to the self-defense act is now law and it includes "Constitutional Carry" aka permit-less carry.

what are your thoughts?

View attachment 12963

Attachments

• Oklahoma-2019-HB2597-Enrolled.pdf
    118.2 KB · Views: 42

dennishoddy

I'm not all up on lawyer speak, but there are provisions in this new law that I don't like. Page 9:

2. District judges, associate district judges and special district judges, who are in possession of a valid handgun license issued pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act and whose names appear on a list maintained by the Administrative Director of the Courts, when acting in the course and scope of employment within the courthouses of this state; 3. Private investigators with a firearms authorization when acting in the course and scope of employment; 4. Elected officials of a county, who are in possession of a valid handgun license issued pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, may carry a concealed handgun when acting in the performance of their duties within the courthouses of the county in which he or she was elected. The provisions of this paragraph shall not allow the elected county official to carry the handgun into a courtroom; 5. The sheriff of any county may authorize certain employees of the county, who possess a valid handgun license issued pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, to carry a concealed handgun when acting in the course and scope of employment within the courthouses in the county in which the person is employed. Nothing in this act shall prohibit the sheriff from requiring additional instruction or training before receiving authorization to carry a concealed handgun within the courthouse. The provisions of this paragraph and of paragraph 6 of this subsection shall not allow the county employee to carry the handgun into a courtroom, sheriff's office, adult or juvenile jail or any other prisoner detention area; and 6. The board of county commissioners of any county may authorize certain employees of the county, who possess a valid handgun license issued pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, to carry a concealed handgun when acting in the course course and scope of employment on county annex facilities or grounds surrounding the county courthouse.

I don't care for this because it creates a protected class of individuals, Judges, Lawyers, County employees, etc. can carry in federal and state courthouses and other protected areas where the common citizen cannot under penalty of law.
That creates a special class of gun owners who's lives are obviously more important than us commoners.

I'm not sure this is the final version as it does have redactions and corrections, but there is still language in the bill that talks about requirements to have a state issued license.

Robusto

Well-Known Fanatic
dennishoddy said:
I don't care for this because it creates a protected class of individuals, Judges, Lawyers, County employees, etc. can carry in federal and state courthouses and other protected areas where the common citizen cannot under penalty of law.
That creates a special class of gun owners who's lives are obviously more important than us commoners.
Yes, that looks to be their intent. I suspect the bigger issue is the legistature does not hear our voice or respect us.

LuckyDucky

Well-Known Fanatic
dennishoddy said:
I'm not all up on lawyer speak, but there are provisions in this new law that I don't like. Page 9:

2. District judges, associate district judges and special district judges, who are in possession of a valid handgun license issued pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act and whose names appear on a list maintained by the Administrative Director of the Courts, when acting in the course and scope of employment within the courthouses of this state; 3. Private investigators with a firearms authorization when acting in the course and scope of employment; 4. Elected officials of a county, who are in possession of a valid handgun license issued pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, may carry a concealed handgun when acting in the performance of their duties within the courthouses of the county in which he or she was elected. The provisions of this paragraph shall not allow the elected county official to carry the handgun into a courtroom; 5. The sheriff of any county may authorize certain employees of the county, who possess a valid handgun license issued pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, to carry a concealed handgun when acting in the course and scope of employment within the courthouses in the county in which the person is employed. Nothing in this act shall prohibit the sheriff from requiring additional instruction or training before receiving authorization to carry a concealed handgun within the courthouse. The provisions of this paragraph and of paragraph 6 of this subsection shall not allow the county employee to carry the handgun into a courtroom, sheriff's office, adult or juvenile jail or any other prisoner detention area; and 6. The board of county commissioners of any county may authorize certain employees of the county, who possess a valid handgun license issued pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, to carry a concealed handgun when acting in the course course and scope of employment on county annex facilities or grounds surrounding the county courthouse.

I'm not sure this is the final version as it does have redactions and corrections, but there is still language in the bill that talks about requirements to have a state issued license.
That part is not new law. New law is indicated by underlines while removal of language is indicated by strikethroughs.

In terms of the bill, that is the final version (except for the signatures). The new and removed language will be codified, which is what you see on OSCN when you look it up.

dennishoddy

Spencer said:
That part is not new law. New law is indicated by underlines while removal of language is indicated by strikethroughs.

In terms of the bill, that is the final version (except for the signatures). The new and removed language will be codified, which is what you see on OSCN when you look it up.
Thanks.
It still doesn't eliminate the class of citizens whose protection is more important than us common folks on page 9.
I totally disagree with that clause.

LuckyDucky

Well-Known Fanatic
dennishoddy said:
Thanks.
It still doesn't eliminate the class of citizens whose protection is more important than us common folks on page 9.
I totally disagree with that clause.
Do you disagree with LEO getting special privileges and treatment? Even when off duty?

Latest posts