Concentricity gauge build

JMorris

Well-Known Fanatic
There have been a few times I have wished I had a simple little concentricity gauge dedicated to the reloading room for measuring runout in cases and to see how well bullets are being seated, so I built this one today.

There is a slot machined into the base plate that the bearing holders ride in with an extra wide slot under that so the nut plate has clearance. This makes it so I just need one Allen wrench from the top to set it up.

IMG_20160830_172720_649-1_zps4mp3pmdo.jpg

The bearings are .375 and set into the aluminum carriers with Devon, I used a 1/4" stainless rod to mount one of my indicators to and a 1/4" dowel to locate the back of the case.

IMG_20160830_172320_213-1_zpsfb6ppb8d.jpg

Tested it out on a precision ground dowel and it works but I think I am going to add a spring loaded wheel with and o-ring on the OD to act as a "tire" that holds the case down and back against the dowel and give my fingers something a little larger to turn.

IMG_20160830_172403_341-1_zpsgowmrovb.jpg

JMorris

Well-Known Fanatic
What do you think you'll find?
Answers to questions I haven't asked before?

I really don't know. I did play with it for a few minutes and found belt fed ammo for a Mk 48 has the same runout as Federal "premium" ammunition and both have half the runout as ammunition I loaded years ago for my belt fed 1919 on a Hornady LNL.

JMorris

Well-Known Fanatic
Depends where you are actually measuring from but .002 is common.

mikey80

Negative Approach
This is bad ass!

I've been eyeing one of these for years.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Just realize you are seeing some "out of roundness" from the base on your indicator so it's not true concentricity check but it is a good functional check. You are really just checking runout. I sure wish I had all of your toys and the time to use them.

Latest posts