Chrono indoors?

KellyB

Well-Known Fanatic
Is it possible to get a fairly accurate chrono reading from an indoor range? Like H&H.

Set it up in a bay, no other activity & get a fairly accurate reading of making major pf, under or way over.

I do understand certain atmosphere variables will change end results, like temperature, humidity, etc. I’m just needing a baseline & rough guesstimate to work from. It seems like it’s always raining when I have time to do it.

Input? Suggestions? Or suck it up, be more patient (aka waste time) & wait to go outdoors?

TIA
KB

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
It's fine if you have a chrono with an IR light kit. Normal everyday chronos don't work well under the UV lights of the indoor range.

KellyB

Well-Known Fanatic
Wall said:
It's fine if you have a chrono with an IR light kit. Normal everyday chronos don't work well under the UV lights of the indoor range.
Ok thanks!

I need to wait for the rain to stop.
That’s what I get for not ordering the accessories. Lol

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
If you're going off load data Feegee provided it'll only go 1 of 2 ways.
It either won't make it through the paper, or it'll go straight through the berm. So if it's loud, you're good-ish.

dennishoddy

Chrono's won't work well under fluorescent lights at all. I even put the sky screens on my chrony to diffuse the light, but it didn't help.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Matt Rigsby said:
It either won't make it through the paper, or it'll go straight through the berm. So if it's loud, you're good-ish.
Ha

Feegee

The Magic Man
Matt Rigsby said:
It’s ok to be jealous of my superior shooting skills, and my good looks.

Feegee

The Magic Man
dennishoddy said:
Chrono's won't work well under fluorescent lights at all. I even put the sky screens on my chrony to diffuse the light, but it didn't help.
I have got my M2 with the infrared set up to work well indoors at H&H. I do know that the little arms that contain the wires are bullet magnets. [emoji16]

dennishoddy

Feegee Matlock said:
I have got my M2 with the infrared set up to work well indoors at H&H. I do know that the little arms that contain the wires are bullet magnets. [emoji16]
I don’t have the infrared set up. Tried mine in the barn one rainy day shooting from inside to a target outside. The fluorescent lighting made it go bonkers.
You noticed the sky screens attract bullets as well? Thought I was the only one. [emoji12]

noylj

Fanatic
Labradar or IR lights/sensors.
My indoor ranges won't let ANYONE beyond the "red line" for ANYTHING--liability insurance issue, even if range is closed. So, for me, Labrador would be my only option (if I could afford one).

Professor

Well-Known Fanatic
noylj said:
Labradar or IR lights/sensors.
My indoor ranges won't let ANYONE beyond the "red line" for ANYTHING--liability insurance issue, even if range is closed. So, for me, Labrador would be my only option (if I could afford one).
Magnetospeed V3 if you are using a revolver or semi-auto with a rail. Not cheap, but much less than a LabRadar.

KellyB

Well-Known Fanatic
Lessons learned:
Can’t chrono when it’s raining, too wet.
Can’t chrono when it’s cloudy, crazy numbers like 255 PF or 110 PF.
Can’t chrono in the late evening, sun vs bullet angle reading.

Sunny days = chrono works & readings seem reasonable.

Latest posts