Choices, choices...

Parhams0508

Well-Known Fanatic
So I've narrowed down what I want to get to finish my first AR build: 16" 5.56 barrel with mid-length gas system and M4 feed ramps, and an A3 style flat top, all probably from PSA (I want to build a rifle from a local SC company, just because). However, I'm trying to figure out how to get the best accuracy while reducing the weight of a mid-length system; my father-in-law's two AR's, one a carbine and the other a mid-length, are incredibly different in their weight. I would love to have that M4 weight with the reliability of a mid-length or rifle-length gas system.

Any ideas on how I can do that? Are there other options I'm not considering, past plastic furniture and lighter profile barrels?

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic
A lightweight, skeletonized rail would be good. Spikes Tactical makes a 7 or 9" rail that is very lightweight, with a titanium barrel nut:

spikes_sar_rail.jpg

Also, look at plastic back up iron sights for weight savings. Magpul, for example.

armaborealis

Well-Known Fanatic
The difference in weight between a carbine and mid-length gas system should be trivial. The real difference in weight is likely in the handguards. A light weight basic handguard design should help control weight up front. The Spike's handguards seem to weigh as much or more than basic Magpul MOE handguards (http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG418/62). Carbine handguards appear to save about 3 oz. You'll have to decide if the shorter sight radius and different recoil characteristics with the short gas system are worth a few oz to you.

The light weight profile barrels tend to save a few oz. Beware -- Palmetto STate Armory's "lightweight" is not a true pencil barrel. It is more like Spike's "Optimal," which is somewhere between a traditional gov't bbl and the pencil bbls.

The lightest lowers are going to be the polymer (Plum Crazy) type or the CAR-15 (now produced by a different manufacturer). The Plum Crazy types have mixed reviews. The CAR-15 is more highly rated but has a fixed stock configuration with a short warsaw pact type length of pull (13").

Avoiding hanging crap off the rifle will probably be the #1 contributer to a light rifle. No lights, no rails, no big optics; either plain old BUIS or maybe an Aimpoint Micro will keep your weight low.

I just priced out all of the gear (the 16" PSA "lightweight" bbl is on sale) and decided against it. I have a 14.5"+welded flash hider which is "light enough." If I want to go super light weight I'll pony up the $200 for the tax stamp and go NFA with a SBR.

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic
Yeah, the Spike's 7" SAR is only a quarter ounce lighter than the Magpul MOE, but it's in a different league in terms of quality and performance. It's an anodized 6061 aluminum FREE FLOAT rail versus a drop in plastic piece. I guarantee that is lighter than factory plastic handguards and the bulky delta ring, which are probably 10 ounces together, even more so with the Magpul MOE handguard.

For the record, I'm not a Spike's fan. They are super high quality, but I always gravitate to other brands first, like DD or Rainier.

Latest posts