CETME RIFLE ADVICE?

44lover

Well-Known Fanatic
I've got a CETME rifle, I had it out at Twin Pond last Sat. tryin to show it off to a buddy. Well, needless to say I had problems with it hanging up. No, It wasn't very clean when I started out, (1st redflag). The mags got dirty (2nd redflag). It works real well when its clean, (I know, rifles always do). As I'm cleaning it, I got to wondering about polishing the bolt carrier and the reciever where the bolt rides inside the rifle. It doesn't seem to be to much to handle.

Has anyone out got any tips on going about this? I want to do this myself, as an ego boost project. I don't wanna pay to have it done. Also, is it even worth doing?

Pigpen

Well-Known Fanatic
Post some pictures of it, that is the 1st thing you need to do.

Get the old school feeler gauges from the auto parts store.
You will need the gauges to check bolt gap. I can't explain it good so I would suggest you go to www.militaryfirearm.com and ask any questions you have.

This website used to be called cetmerifles.com.

There are a lot of people on that forum who are happy to help you get this gun shooting again.

I'm not saying people here are not happy to help. I'm just saying that the other site has a lot of folks who know a lot about this type of rifle.

44lover

Well-Known Fanatic
Thnaks for the link and the advice. I bought it a few years ago at ATP. It's not that its not working I just want to slick the action up, make it run smoother.

44lover

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks to all for the helpful advice. I've decided against the polishing job, and leave well enough alone. One of you guys asked me to check out militaryfirearm.com. A great wealth of info and how-to's. Thanks again guys.

armedpig

Well-Known Fanatic
It should have a bolt gap that measures between .3 and .5 millimeters (about .012 - .020 Inch). Here is how to check te gap. You may or may not know, I'm just putting it up for info.

1. Make sure it is unloaded.
2. Pull the cocking handle back all the way and let the bolt slam home.
3. Pull the trigger and let the hammer hit the firing pin.
4. Turn the gun upside down so that you can look down in the magwell.
5. Start sticking feeler gauges between the back of the bolt and the front of the carrier until you find the one that fits. If it is off you can adjust using rollers.

Good thing is, if it is so far off that it cannot be corrected by rollers, Cetme bolts and carriers are pretty cheap.

44lover

Well-Known Fanatic
I checked the bolt gap in it today and have found it to be right at .006. The cocking tube gap is definately out of spec. I am just going to replace the carrier and bolt altogether and see where it needs to go from there. This thing is a nice project, if it gets to be too much I'll just dump it and pick up and FAL.

Clicker

Well-Known Fanatic
My HK G3 still shot with a bolt gap of less then .004". The only ammo it didn't cycle were blanks. I replaced the rollers and have a BG of .009" so I've got to repress the barrel at some point down the road.

Pull the rollers and see what you've got in there now. I may have some +2's not sure. I should have standard size rollers I pulled from my G3 also.

What kind of ammo are you shooting?

Clicker

Well-Known Fanatic
Another thing about bolt gap on the G3/91 308 rifles is their range runs from .004" up to 020" so technically you're still OK.
However I agree that a BG of .010" to .015" is preferred.

44lover

Well-Known Fanatic
After a month of foolin about I finally ordered a new set of rollers and a new complete bolt head from RTG today. I got the bolt head just in case, cause when I measured out the old one it is .010" too short it was ground down at some point possibly to make the gap right. What a nice surprise! I also measured the bolt carrier and it too was chopped down by 1/4".

If I need to I'll order one after the rollers come in. Just tryin to start small. When I get it right anyone want to buy a CETME? LOL.

Underdude

Well-Known Fanatic
I know I'm coming in late to this, but I used to have a CETME.
I had the same issues in the beginning with mine. Eventually I polished the entire bolt and spring guide rods and it reduced the stoppages big time. I then coated all polished parts in Tetragun grease overnight and wiped it away the next day and kept everything dry (lubeless). Next problem was the magazines. I bought 20 new mags still covered in grease. Cleaned them up and polished the mag followers.
Problems eliminated.

44lover

Well-Known Fanatic
I know this one is way late, but an update on the project. I tore her all the way down, from the cocking handle to the bolt head. I left the trigger pack alone, took a word of advice from Henry Ford, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Vigorously cleaned the bolt head and internal parts, replaced rollers with +4's. BG is now .12" . Replaced cocking handle spring (old one was broken in 2 and 1 pc riding in the tube with the handle). Tube gap returned to spec by fixing Bolt Gap. Cleaned Cocking tube while it was opened up, After all that, she runs like a dream. No malfunctions of any kind. It's amazing how a few parts and a good scrubbing.......... well ya'll know. Just need to clean up the furniture, make it nice. Thanks to all for advice, tips and support.

Latest posts