Carbon fiber knives

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
It's not necessarily hard to work carbon fiber, but it is more time-consuming than you'd think. I haven't made a knife out of it (yet, thanks for the idea), but the amount and fineness of the dust generated when working it with hand tools is kind of a nightmare.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
Wear chemistry type goggles, a respirator, and ear plugs. You don't want those particles in you. Gloves and long sleeve shirt would be a good idea too.

Other than that you just need to find a pattern you want and get to filing/sanding.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Yeah, the dust will itch like a mother, worse than fiberglass, by far. It travels further than sawdust, too. About twice as far.

rmuller

Well-Known Fanatic
what is the purpose of a CF knife? I understand the obvious weight, cool factor, no metal to detect, but an missing something i guess.

CF is light with a very high modulus, and while i have never tried to "sharpen" a sheet i woudl not think that it would hold much of an edge. Additionally CF sheet material will delaminate if struck from the edge. Additionally depending on the matrix resin it may or may not have any sort of weatherability.

Just curious, hell now, i might even try it also!

twss

Well-Known Fanatic
I can't imagine it would hold an edge at all. If you just need a one time shank you can pass through a metal detector, then maybe. Otherwise I think you would be disappointed.

harpstr

Fanatic
If you're creating the blade out of CF that's as mentioned before a simple shank. If you are using CF as a handle then you might have something awesome.

Latest posts