Can you keep a 1911 looking "GI"...

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
I may be getting a GI model 1911. I know that it is not cost effective to turn a GI gun into the equivalent of a high dollar 1911 and that's not what I am wanting. I want a gun that looks basically the same as it came from Springfield, but with a nice trigger pull and anything it might need to make it run better.

I know a decent amount about 1911s, historically. As far as what it takes to maintain and run them, I am a complete novice.

I am trading for a 1911 GI Champion. What I want is a solid carry gun that I can take to matches and not be disappointed with. I have been told the GI model guns are solid pistols, but would love to know what to expect, watch for, or plan to have worked on. If I get the gun, it already has better sights, they just need to be installed.

I'm a Glock guy...so use small words......

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
My personal opinion is, for maximum reliability the ejection port needs to be lowered & flared & the barrel should be throated rather than just ramped, and quality mags are a must.

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
My personal opinion is, for maximum reliability the ejection port needs to be lowered & flared & the barrel should be throated rather than just ramped, and quality mags are a must.

Is throating something that can be done to a barrel, or is it something it has to have to begin with?

Are Kimber "Kimpro" mags good? or do I just need to plan on Wilsons?

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Throating a barrel involves expanding the ramped portion of the barrel and rounding edges into radii. Anyone can do it, not many can do it well.

dennishoddy

Is throating something that can be done to a barrel, or is it something it has to have to begin with?

Are Kimber "Kimpro" mags good? or do I just need to plan on Wilsons?
I have the Kimpro, and the Wilson Combat. Never had a problem with either.
I have some of the Tripp mags coming.

I don't recomend the Stock Kimber mags that come with the gun. They are welded, and cannot be taken apart to be cleaned, and the follower sucks.
Yes, I own a Kimber.

Dieseltech09

Well-Known Fanatic
You need to talk to Mike about doing work on it. Just be warned, I took him my Colt with plans of just sights and trigger job and it went from this when I dropped it off

Coltcommander.jpg

to this when I picked it up

koenke3.jpg

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
I really like Tripp Cobra Mags.
I wrote a comparison of them vs. wilson:

side by side comparison

As far as barrel throating, most come with throated barrels these days. you need to use a mill to properly throat a barrel. See attached pic for different barrel treatments. Throated in the middle, old school ramp on the left & I believe Colt "dimple" throat on the right.

Attachments

• barrel.jpg
    barrel.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 48

dennishoddy

I really like Tripp Cobra Mags.
I wrote a comparison of them vs. wilson:

As far as barrel throating, most come with throated barrels these days. you need to use a mill to properly throat a barrel. See attached pic for different barrel treatments. Throated in the middle, old school ramp on the left & I believe Colt "dimple" throat on the right.

I mentioned the Kimber chepo mags in that post. I did get the rubber bumpers with the Kimpro and Wilson.
Can't wait to get the Tripp. They should be here this week :D

Oh yeah, to meet the title of your post "how to keep a 1911 a GI"
You drag it through the dirt, wipe out all of the blue with holster wear, throw some dirt and mud into the action and shoot it!! ;)

DoctorJJ

Doc's Gun Store
My dad has a Springfield that was one of the lower end models but it got the treatment of a lot of aftermarket parts and a trigger job and the ejection port lowered and flared. It's been 100% reliable so far. Doesn't look much different than it did before.

Latest posts