Buckshot vs bird

Brandon Deem

Well-Known Fanatic
Another noob question. (I'm sure it won't be the last)

I've never shot buckshot. On targets that are buck/bird option, when do u choose buck?

This stage for example 😀

3177cfcc87034149079c7a69ad351b7e.jpg

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
You choose buckshot when the stage description tells you what to shoot with buckshot. Targets are segregated like with slugs. For far targets I believe most people are choking down or using some wicked awesome Flight Control shells.

ShaneP

Looks good to me
40 yards is a long distance falling steel for bird shot. Perhaps you'll want to use buckshot on the farther targets, or choke way down like you're turkey hunting. Also the spinner will get over easier with a more powerful shot like buckshot compared to bird depending on the distance.

wixthedog

Well-Known Fanatic
Funny you bring this up, I was just thinking that I've never had to shoot buckshot at a 3 gun match in the 2 years I've been playing the game.

Brandon Deem

Well-Known Fanatic
Well the stage ended up not looking like that completely. Know how buck functions in ur gun. Turns or mine won't cycle 2 3/4 heavy loads, like buck. Malfunction on every shot. Luckily I went with good ole Remington heavy dove and a modified choke for all the falling steel. There were a couple targets that I shot 2-3 times to make them fall. Buck on the star and dealt with the malfunctions (poorly, but I learned I flinch. A LOT) 3" shells for the spinner. No issues. Leaving 2 slug targets hurt the most of all.

wixthedog

Well-Known Fanatic
You are absolutely right. As far as I know the Marble Falls match next weekend doesn't require any buckshot so I have some time. I did learn that turkey load and a full choke will send a spinner right around!

Brandon Deem

Well-Known Fanatic
I dislike how "turkey load" has become the default name for any shell thats not 1 Oz #7. 5 below 1200 fps.
Local match the guys turkey load was 1 1/8 #6 at 1300 ish.