Boggy Head

Pops

Well-Known Fanatic
Hey Clicker!
I read online that Twin Ponds has been changed to a "pay to play" range. Is that correct? if so are they keeping it cleaned up for the price of admission?

Clicker

Well-Known Fanatic
I know TP is staffed by a range master and no rapid fire allowed but I don't know about any fees. I do know someone who shoots there so lemme check and get back to ya.

Pops

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanx! I look forward to knowing what the scoop is.
I always liked Twin Ponds, but if they don't allow rapid fire . . . what's the point? :rolleyes:
What kind of shape is Boggy Head in these days? is it still covered over with shot up refrigerators and such?
I have a few long-arms I want to take outdoors. My local range will allow long-arms up to and including 7.62x554 Rimmed, but it's still indoors. I like to shoot the big bang stuff outside.

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic
Last time I was at TP, there was a ranger staffing it but no $. They provided target stands. At the rifle line, only shooting while sitting. No standing, no prone, no rapid fire, and they even got on me for using the upper half of my AR10 (IE, the scope) to spot for someone actually shooting. So if you hunt, practice self-defense, or target shoot sitting down you'll be fine.

They also wouldn't allow me to carry my (permitted) pistol at the range nor would they let my buddy who is a deputy. But that's a different argument.

Boggy is junky as usual but wasn't horrid last time I was there. But then you've got yahoos that might take a shot when you're cold and everyones downrange.

Frost

Well-Known Fanatic
I don't mind a few rules but no controlled rapid fire is kind of a deal breaker for me.
If i can't rapid fire how will I know if my AR runs?

Pops

Well-Known Fanatic
I have to wonder what is wrong with firing a rifle from a standing position? I can see not laying on the ground, since there is really no place to do that, but from a stand? I almost always shoot from a standing position when I shoot longarms. Hmmm, that sounds like they have made up some new rules or perhaps they don't really know the rules to begin with.

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic
The range has benches (like Boggy does too) and they put the roof over them down low enough in the front that you can't shoot standing. (Yeah, like 99% of hunters). Prone - the benches are on a long concrete pad like Boggy as well. Worst you'd have someone else's brass falling on you. Asked the ranger, he said seated slow fire only. WTF is that practicing? I'm not in the Swiss army for god's sake.

Pistol range was a little better but cased guns only to table, no draw from a holster. Slow fire only. Again - what am I practicing here? I won't be going back to that range. NONE of the defensive drills work that way.

I get slow fire at an indoor range - different bullet traps can be damaged by that. Although no local indoor range has ever given me grief about double-tap or mozambique.

Looks like I might be losing access to the private range too - buddy that has access because he's LEO is moving to Michigan. Guess I'll take up airsoft?

Frost

Well-Known Fanatic
Preaching to the choir.
It is so easy to lose the timing for Double Tap it requires a lot of practice.

Sorry to hear you are losing your private spot, once upon a time I had one.

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic
Maybe not - I'm also taking over the veteran charity that my LEO friend ran, and I might be able to maintain access through that. Need to have a meeting with the landowner.

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic
It would be easy enough to station a ranger there, but not go to the lengths that Twin Ponds did (and hopefully not be as restrictive)

Latest posts