Black Dog metal feed lip mags review

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
My first thoughts were that it seemed to be a well made, solid piece. but then... I had trouble with mine when I took it out.
Every third to fourth shot would jam up the action in my rifle.
The problem was the feed lips were too far apart so when the rounds would come up from the magazine, the front of the bullet would go too far and end up sticking straight up and jamming between the bolt and the charging handle.
100_0321.jpg

100_0322.jpg

I was too frustrated with it at the range to mess with it so when I got home I pinched in the front of the rear section of the feedlips to try to remedy the situation. I messed with it for a while trying to make sure I had a tight enough pinch to catch the bullet, but not interfere with the bolt or the mag follower.
100_0326.jpg

I think I have it tweaked properly, just haven't had the chance to go back to the range to try it out yet.
I'll post my results when I try it out again.

This next picture has nothing to do with the magazine, I just wanted to share it.
I was holding my 1 month old son while I was one hand typing this review and this was the face he was making at me:

100_0323.jpg

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
100_0326.jpg

I think I have it tweaked properly, just haven't had the chance to go back to the range to try it out yet.
I'll post my results when I try it out again.
Matt, I think this is going to nose dive.
I think the front of the lips should be just slightly farther apart than the back.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
Matt, I think this is going to nose dive.
I think the front of the lips should be just slightly farther apart than the back.

Hand feeding it seems to work just fine. Every round strips off the mag and loads in the chamber, but actually shooting it could be a lot different.

I'll give it a try and if I have problems again I'll just have to tweak it as I go.
I should have done it the last time I shot it but I was too pissed off at the moment about a brand new mag not working.
Next time I'll use my patience and adjust as necessary until I get it right.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Hand feeding it seems to work just fine. Every round strips off the mag and loads in the chamber, but actually shooting it could be a lot different.

I'll give it a try and if I have problems again I'll just have to tweak it as I go.
I should have done it the last time I shot it but I was too pissed off at the moment about a brand new mag not working.
Next time I'll use my patience and adjust as necessary until I get it right.
I bought 4 & 3 of them run good but 1 nose dives. Let us know what you come up with so those of us needing to tweak them can benefit from your frustration :D

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
Throw a BoomerShooter cap on that kid and you have a photo contest winner!

Thanks for the review. I will be interested to hear if anyone else had trouble

Can't we just make it the winning photo based off of his rugged handsomeness?? He does look just like me afterall :D

David E

Well-Known Fanatic
I tweaked nine of mine by shipping them back to BDM for exchange.

They sent me the 4th Gen "X form" and they are SUPER!

Biggsly

Well-Known Fanatic
I had to clean some liquid off the wall beside the changing table yesterday as a matter of fact.
This would be called a negligent discharge. LOL. I have wanted to get a BD drum for my old PPS-50, but I don't know anyone that has tried them.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
David,

I think my upper must be the same as yours. It's a jam-o-matic. Got an email off, and they sent me another recoil spring to try. Did that Friday and no dice. What was yours doing? Mine feeds and extracts fine, but won't eject for crap.

As to these mags, the bodies are awesome but the feed lips are crap. These bodies with the Gen 4 feed lips on top would be the cat's ass. Probably gonna send these back too.

David E

Well-Known Fanatic
My upper would typically catch and crush the fired case, rim end out.

They told me they replaced the bolt, that they had a few that weren't up to spec.

I was irritated that a $500 upper had to be sent back on MY dime to fix a problem it left their facility with. No extras of any kind were included with the return.

At least it's running now.

David E

Well-Known Fanatic
Oh, and the handguard is loose. I can turn it either way, but it doesn't tighten or come off.

I'll call them this week.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
My upper would typically catch and crush the fired case, rim end out.

They told me they replaced the bolt, that they had a few that weren't up to spec.

I was irritated that a $500 upper had to be sent back on MY dime to fix a problem it left their facility with. No extras of any kind were included with the return.

At least it's running now.
Same as mine. I can't see a thing wrong with the bolt. It just seems to be oversprung. If they want it back I'm going to try to get them to swap me a new bolt assy. If I ship mine it's going to be to a buyer, not the manufacturer for repair. Worse comes to worse, I'll start clipping coils. After all I have an extra!

That S&W MP15-22 is looking better and better.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
Well I finally got out tonight to test out the mag after tweaking the feed lips. I beleive I've got it fixed. The first mag full went smooth until the last shot, it went straight up like it had before so I put a little hand pressure on it to close it up just the slightest bit and from then on it's been perfect.
Completely reliable so far with the 300 rounds I put through it. I'm back to being happy with my new mag.

Latest posts