Barrel Lengths and Twist Rates

cajunfighter

New Fanatic
That's what i figure most people would say, just curious. Have any of you run a 16" dissipator. I know that some of the older ones had some issues, but seems like I heard the newer ones were more reliable.

cajunfighter

New Fanatic
Yeah, the biggest thing that i guess concerns me is how much more accuracy you will get out of an 18" barrel. I like the idea of the dissipator simply because it seems like that would be the least amount of recoil possible with a low mass BCG and adjustable gas block.

Wild Bill1

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm using a Colt 6920 with a 16" 1 in 7 chrome lined barrel and carbine length gas system. Its all stock with the exception of a Troy Alpha rail. It would do 1.5 MOA at best with the stock handguard setup. I axed that and put the Troy Alpha rail and it will shoot .75 moa with good ammo and optics.

Bob Sanders

Well-Known Fanatic
Stock 16" stag carbine with Troy rail, 1-9 twist. Easily sub MOA with most loads. In other words, shoots better than I can. And yet I'm going to an 18" barrel this winter.

gondo

Well-Known Fanatic
bought another 18 nordic barrel today using the enosforum group buy... like $215 to my door... thats ridiculous good price for my favorite barrel...

Wild Bill1

Well-Known Fanatic
Cameron Gonder (gondo) said:
bought another 18 nordic barrel today using the enosforum group buy... like $215 to my door... thats ridiculous good price for my favorite barrel...
Nice! Hell of a good deal.

bullittmcqueen

Well-Known Fanatic
After shooting them all I don't see any reason to use anything other than 1/8 now. It covers the gamut of whatever projectile load you can dream up for 3-gun. As far as barrel length and gas, I started out with an 18" rifle gas and grew tired of how heavy it was. Shooting offhand was a chore. Contoured the barrel to light profile and it really made a huge difference in the balance of the rifle.

Now I am shooting a 16" SS barrel with intermediate length gas and SLR Sentry-7 gas block. 100% reliable for me, very accurate, and a bit lighter/shorter than 18". For the matches around here, you don't need the accuracy/velocity difference in 16 and 18. I think the trade-off of lighter and more maneuverable around barricades and dumping into barrel quicker/more easily is worth it to lose a little muzzle velocity. I believe I can work around the long range issue with hand loads and better shooting technique.

Latest posts