AR10 build help/suggestions

PapaBear

Well-Known Fanatic
Well, it's time to finish my build (like i even started, lol). First off, gun will be used for hunting hogs and deer, probably not more than 200 yards ever.

I have a PA-10 lower, and that's it. I was hoping to snag one of their 18" SS uppers they had for $599 and just be done with it, but the cards didn't align when they hit the website. Now I don't want to wait any longer.

I am curious in the benefits of going 18" over 16". 16" parts are available very economically, and abundant. How much will I really gain going from 16 to 18" or 20" realistically? Is it worth the extra money and weight?

Suggestions on uppers? Assembled or otherwise? I really don't want to go broke getting this thing completed. I'm a dealer for Aero Precision and DPMS, but cannot make up my mind on length to decide what to go with.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Also curious about muzzle device. I see a lot of decently priced uppers available without threaded barrels. Would a target crown be okay? How much recoil and muzzle rise should I expect without a muzzle brake? Is something needed for quick follow up shots or would I be able to handle it?

kg4kpg

Well-Known Fanatic
Primary arms has an Aero Precision upper on sale for $99.00. Link below.

http://www.primaryarms.com/Aero_Precisi ... an%27s+Day

Here's a link to a discussion comparing .308 to 6.5 Grendel.
http://www.msrhunt.com/post/6-5-grendel ... 1284939264

I'm almost done with a .308, just need to buy the barrel and strip the rest of the mossy oak camo and DuraCoat it all in OD green. I wanted to go with. 20" but I can't find one I can afford so I think I'll go with 18". I've found several in my price range.

PapaBear

Well-Known Fanatic
That's the one I bought. Showed up Thursday night online and I couldn't turn it down. Also grabbed a LPK with a ACT trigger. Should suit me fine.

kg4kpg

Well-Known Fanatic
I ordered an 18" stainless barrel yesterday, just need a gas block, gas tube and comp for it.

Dave29461

Well-Known Fanatic
Chris, have you looked at the Claymore or Dragonhead brakes. Similar to Levang but less expensive. I'm getting a Dragonhead for the .308 and May try one for the 5.56.

Latest posts