AR trigger job

dennishoddy

Bought a Spikes lower Monday. Trigger has a little creep, and definatly a little rough feeling.
Is it going to be better to work on this trigger, or get a new trigger group, and be done with it?

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
I had a std. trigger group in my SBR that I had worked on & made it pretty nice (I thought). That said, I just installed a 3 1/2# JP fire control group in my 3gun rifle. It has virtually no creep or over travel & almost no reset, all of which is adjustable to your liking. Get a JP & don't look back.

93 FOX

Well-Known Fanatic
Sent mine to Bill Springfield and with a 3 1/2 week turnaround (I guess he is pretty busy right now) and $54 bucks later its about a 4.5lb pull and alot less creep and smoother than stock. Also did the speed hammer at that price. Nothing to bragg about but alot better than stock. Wall, what did the jp trigger cost?

Chambers

actual GM
They are about $110 for just the trigger.

I have seen many other triggers (including the Springfield) die at inopportune times. I will never use anything but JP.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
They are about $110 for just the trigger.

I have seen many other triggers (including the Springfield) die at inopportune times. I will never use anything but JP.
I bought the entire FCG including speed hammer & anti walk pins for $179. You can get the trigger only & use your hammer & pins for around $110 like Chambers said. If you do, you'll probably want to bob your hammer & buy some anti walk pins anyway. After that you're probably money down than if you just bought the complete set.

I had a trigger set go down in the middle of a 3gun stage & couldn't continue, like Mike said. It sux, just get the good stuff to begin with & save money by buying it only once.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
Open the rifle and grab ahold of the hammer, now pull the hammer up while pulling the trigger slowly (control the hammer to keep it from slamming into the magwell)
Do that about 10 times and the trigger will feel much much better.
I didn't believe it untill I tried it, and the best part is, it's FREE!!

dennishoddy

Open the rifle and grab ahold of the hammer, now pull the hammer up while pulling the trigger slowly (control the hammer to keep it from slamming into the magwell)
Do that about 10 times and the trigger will feel much much better.
I didn't believe it untill I tried it, and the best part is, it's FREE!!
:

Just wondering what this will accomplish? Burnish the rough spots out?

Was in OKC today for work things, and stopped in Heartland on the way out of town to pick up a .22 bore snake, and shell holder for .45 LC.
The guy at the counter was working with another guy with an ar. He was looking for a trigger group as well.
they had some Wilson Combat triggers layed out on the counter. I got to talking with them about the triggers. All were in the 5lb range.
Counter guy said that the Wilson people were in there last week and have a new three gun trigger out in the 3lb range, that is adjustable. He said it was a sweet trigger, and bought one for his AR. Told him I'd be there Sunday for the match, and he said he would not be there but would leave his ar there for me to shoot. Hopefully some of you guys with the JP triggers will be there to give an opinion.

I've looked around the internet, and found that the basic JP group,(as has been stated earlier) is in the $113 range at Midway.
Next question. They talk about a speed hammer.
I'm assuming they are talking about bobbing the Standard hammer to lighten it? I have a small machine shop at home so removing metal is not an issue. If so, what is the final weight of the trigger? I could see problems with one too light.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
:

Just wondering what this will accomplish? Burnish the rough spots out?

Basically yeah. I know when I did it to mine, it made the trigger feel a lot better and the break was a whole lot crisper.
It's worth a try. It won't make it a match trigger by any means, but it's better than $120+

If you're just wanting to buy another trigger group then go with the JP.

TerryRanes

Fanatic
The J&P trigger spring kit for $10 is a must have and made my trigger feel a LOT better. Might try one and see if you feel you need anymore trigger work after the spring kit.

taymoor

Skilled Lover
The spring might help a bit with weight, but doing the trigger and the springs will make it buttery smooth, crisp, short reset, and light pull. I just did mine 3 days ago, and I'm still in awe!

Latest posts