AR Scope and Sights

Brianatc

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm getting ready to setup an AR for 3-gun and was looking at scope and sight setups. What do you think about this?

Leupold VX-II ultralight 3-9x 32mm, mounted with Burris extreme tactical rings with picatinny rail on ring, and a Burris fastfire II on the rail. My thought process is that the fastfire will be good for speed to about 100 yards, then the 3-9 would be good out to 300. I'm trying to keep it light weight and this should add about 12-14 oz.

Chambers

actual GM
Having two optics like that puts you into open division, which means you'll be competing against $3,500 R&R Racing Saiga shotguns and $5,000 handguns! It's an expensive route to take, and not one that I recommend starting out in.

You don't see many open guns with scope magnification beyond 4x. The 1-4x variable scope is the ticket for 3-gun, even in open. It's not the magnification that's important at 300-500 yards.

I think we need a sticky about 3-gun divisions/guns? Jesse's already got a shotgun-specific sticky. There seem to be a lot of questions like this one popping up....which we definitely like to see. :)

Brianatc

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks for the info. I've tried to read the rules but it would be nice if y'all that have done it would explain the divisions. I have a M1, and a glock 34, and will add an AR by the end of the month. My 3 gun plans are to just have fun shooting.

Chambers

actual GM
Thanks for the info. I've tried to read the rules but it would be nice if y'all that have done it would explain the divisions. I have a M1, and a glock 34, and will add an AR by the end of the month. My 3 gun plans are to just have fun shooting.

GLOCK 34 and M1 are AWESOME guns to start with. You're 2/3rds of the way there.

With those guns I would recommend either non-magnified (limited) or magnified (tactical) divisions. Basically that's determined by whether you go with a red dot/irons sights, or a low power scope.

OKCGC only goes out to 300 and you won't be shooting targets smaller than 4" at 100 yds, which can be handled well by any type of optic. MD Mike Pinto shoots iron sights and kicks all kind of ass with them. Now you just have to choose!

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
+1 on staying away from the two optic thing. It is really not needed. You would get off a lot cheaper with a everyday run of the mill 1-4X scope or even better an Eotech for use in the 1X/iron sight division. The higher magnification scopes are great for shooting groups but not so great for FOV at the upper magnification so when you have to transition to another target that is more than 5 or 10 feet away you lose a lot of time because you have to come off the scope and break your cheek weld to find the next target out of your scope. Since the 1x red dots are allowed in iron sight division there has been a renewed interest in that realm. I am even thinking about giving it a try and I already spent $2k on a 1-6x scope for my tac optics rifle.

Brianatc

Well-Known Fanatic
I use a Burris fastfire on my bullseye gun so it would be easy to at least give it a try, thanks for the information.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Wel heck if you already got the fastfire use it. Do you have the 3-9x scope already too?

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
What type of irons does Mike Pinto use to destroy the competition with? This sounds like a hot ticket.

Latest posts