Anyone seeing the deer move?

Jberry

Fanatic
Been out a few times...have really been disappointed that I have not seen any shooters. Maybe too early? maybe too warm?

Thoughts?

Airic

I shoot.
Been out a couple times. Seen a couple smaller bucks. On one place it seems the bucks are still running as a group but on the other they are starting to split apart. The does are all business as normal.

dennishoddy

Around our area, the deer are moving.
I have a 2 mile drive to the highway with bean fields on one side, and heavy woods on the other. In the last two weeks, they have really been crossing the woods right at daylight and dark getting to food. The acorns have nothing in them because of the drought, so they are looking for nutrition.
At the farm, (grant county) we are seeing single does, and very few fawns. The does are looking poor. We suspect the drought caused the does to abandon the fawns to survive.
The ODW has done spotlight surveys in our area recently, and we have not got the results back.

Dux-R-Us

Fear the Duck
I have not hunted during the last three days on account of the wind. I will try thursday PM and believe I should see deer moving to the bean field.

while the impact of the heat and drought will be apparent this year in reduced body and antler mass, next year's impact will be much greater in lower populations.

that's based on the assumption that there will have been less recruitment this year.

Disclaimer: I have no data [but that never stopped people before on this site].

tally ho!

K

Bullbuster

Fanatic
I been out 3 times with the bow and twice with the ML. Seen deer every time out. Couldn't close the deal on 2 small bucks opening morning of bow and also failed on a doe with the bow. Blew 2 chances at doe with the ML, missed a 6pt and hit a tree but filled my tag about an hour later on another deer with the ML. Still have 2 ML and 1 bow tag to fill. Will be out tomorrow with the ML.

dennishoddy

Today was the morning to be out.
Using my spotting scope I counted 19 does and 6 bucks. Had two of the bucks and 4 does within 40 yds, but let them pass, pretty small. Got a couple of cell pics of them to get posted later.

Update: only saw 7 does, and one bobcat this evening.

Dux-R-Us

Fear the Duck
The week prior to the muzzle loader season I had seen deer begin moving about 5:15 pm. I passed on a button buck the last time out. I would have liked him for the freezer but I was in a very nasty thick area and carrying him out in the dark just did'nt seem like a wise (or fun) thing to do.

I too saw a bobcat that evening, and the largest possum in the entire world !! He was huge; a marsupial monster. If possums were trophy animals then by SCI standards he would have been Super Solid Gold. Maybe even the No. 1 possum. He was too far to get a shot at and there was too many trees between me and him.

I have missed out on deer hunting all this week and this weekend. My truck [AKA the Duck-Mobile] went into the shop on Monday and I won't get it back until next week. Head gaskets needed replacement, then they found I [my truck] had a cracked head. We've known for decades that my head proper has been cracked. It's a major repair job of course, but still cheaper than a new car payment. I say it's not too bad, as it only took 182 K miles to reach this point. I drive a 1998 Toyota T100.

tally ho!

K

Probable No. 1 SCI possum.
pre_1319904366__oct_20_2011_hunt_031.jpg

dennishoddy

Possum skeert me, and I aint skeered of nuthin! :D

Buddy just brought a 2 1/2 yr old 8 point to the house. Neck swollen, but said he was still running with 4 other bucks.

Latest posts