Another new member from California

Kenny B.

Fanatic
Thanks to one and all here for making a newby feel welcome.

For the record, I am a retired Federal officer, under the Department of the Interior, Bureau of Indian Affairs. Also, I am former deputy coroner for San Diego County, CA. Believer it or not.

I have had a love of firearms for many years. My first was a Winchester Model 97 I purchased from a friend of my older brother in approximately 1965 for $20. I never cared much for handguns until I became a reserve police officer for one of our municipalities here in San Diego County.

My first rifle was a Ruger Model 77 in caliber .30-06. I made the purchase from a department store that was going out of business. So, the price was mighty attractive. That was the start. I still have that rifle.

Then, I acquired a Ruger Security Six in .357. Handgun interest bloomed from there.

In about 1978, I was introduced to the wonderful world of reloading. That knowledge has been priceless. Especially in these current times of ammunition shortages. I manufacture almost everything I shoot. My loading equipment includes a Dillon Square Deal pistol press, and two RCBS presses for rifle fodder.

For approximately ten years during the 90's, I worked part-time for a law enforcement equipment supply company. There, I spent about all the small income I made buying firearms, on which I would get phenomenal employee discounts.

And, lest I forget, I have acquired, over time, two great series 70 Colt Combat Commanders. One is in .45 ACP, the other in .38 Super.

Short and sweet, that's my intro. Thanks to anyone interested enough to read. Again, I am glad to have found this site!

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic

For the record, I am a retired Federal officer, under the Department of the Interior, Bureau of Indian Affairs. Also, I am former deputy coroner for San Diego County, CA. Believer it or not.

I have had a love of firearms for many years. My first was a Winchester Model 97 I purchased from a friend of my older brother in approximately 1965 for $20. I never cared much for handguns until I became a reserve police officer for one of our municipalities here in San Diego County.

My first rifle was a Ruger Model 77 in caliber .30-06. I made the purchase from a department store that was going out of business. So, the price was mighty attractive. That was the start. I still have that rifle.

Then, I acquired a Ruger Security Six in .357. Handgun interest bloomed from there.

In about 1978, I was introduced to the wonderful world of reloading. That knowledge has been priceless. Especially in these current times of ammunition shortages. I manufacture almost everything I shoot. My loading equipment includes a Dillon Square Deal pistol press, and two RCBS presses for rifle fodder.

For approximately ten years during the 90's, I worked part-time for a law enforcement equipment supply company. There, I spent about all the small income I made buying firearms, on which I would get phenomenal employee discounts.

And, lest I forget, I have acquired, over time, two great series 70 Colt Combat Commanders. One is in .45 ACP, the other in .38 Super.

Short and sweet, that's my intro. Thanks to anyone interested enough to read. Again, I am glad to have found this site!
Welcome aboard you have an impressive resume' to say the least! We are happy to have you here, they are an incredible group of folks, and I for one am Blessed to be a part of of this family. Greetings from Michigan home of the Hagasaurus, whitless whitmer what did we do to deserve her????

Mike A

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Welcome it's good to have you with us.
Winter California GIF by Dylan McKeever

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Welcome! Great to have you join us. I enjoyed reading your introduction. You will fit in great here. I second everything Hoodoo Man said. There is a group of great people here and we are Patriots who enjoy the genius of JMB immensely!

Kenny B.

Fanatic
Once again, thanks a bunch for all the replies. I look forward to the chats here. Please don't hold against me I am from/live in the "Peoples Democratic Republic of Khaliphonia."

I have a "reasonable knowledge" of many of the topics I have seen thus far, but in no way consider myself an expert on any. I will not profess to be a "keyboard commando," as some have been known as on other sites I've explored.

I hope to gain friends and knowledge from all of you. Thanks again!

Whit

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family

Welcome from Northern Indiana enjoy the conversation.

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
Welcome. Thanks for your service. No defund the police here!
I, too, own an old winchester m97, a very old family shotgun that, after graduating from a single shot .410, was the first pump I learned on.
Also own a colt super 38 gov't model pre series 70, among other 1911s and various other firearms. Hi-Powers are a favorite, as are classic revolvers. So, not many platforms I don't like, not familiar or comfortable with DA/SA versions. But could use one "in a pinch" ha
Again, welcome

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Welcome. Thanks for your service. No defund the police here!
I, too, own an old winchester m97, a very old family shotgun that, after graduating from a single shot .410, was the first pump I learned on.
Also own a colt super 38 gov't model pre series 70, among other 1911s and various other firearms. Hi-Powers are a favorite, as are classic revolvers. So, not many platforms I don't like, not familiar or comfortable with DA/SA versions. But could use one "in a pinch" ha
Again, welcome
Hey,
You sound a lot like me with your choices. Love Hi Powers, S&W revolvers (revolvers in general) 1911's. Pump guns and bolt action 22's. Actually I like most guns, just fussy what I own.

Kenny B.

Fanatic
Thanks everybody.

Now, I need to navigate to a thread that deals with opinions regarding the use of devices referred to as "group grippers," vs. full-length recoil spring guides.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks everybody.

Now, I need to navigate to a thread that deals with opinions regarding the use of devices referred to as "group grippers," vs. full-length recoil spring guides.
I ,use the standard style of GI style guide rod and standard recoil spring plug. I really like the Colt style with the prongs in the end of the recoil spring plug. You hook your recoil spring plug into the end of the spring, and it stays in place instead of launching off into space.

Kenny B.

Fanatic
You are spot-on in my book, Bob. I'm beginning to think all these other after-market devices are simply "window dressing." I don't believe it ever hurts to stick with what has worked for so many years.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
1st..welcome to the site.. & greetings from Mi.
Spent from 1972-1987 in San Diego,.. San Diego got too crowded for me by 1987.
Returned to visit in '98 & decided I had no interest in returning..too sad, seeing the changes.
I share owning a couple of Ruger Security Six's, bought new as "leftovers" , when Ruger replaced it with the GP 100.
A much underated / unappreciated revolver. A great pistol, IMO
If you spend any time here, you may find your collection of 1911's starts to grow.. with other sizes & calibers.

As far as the group gripper & FL guide rod, I've had both in the past, & believe them to be unnecessary gimmicks.
If barrel is fitted properly, no need for the group gripper, & a FL guide rod does nothing
but make disassembly more complex. A fitted barrel bushing bushing would be a better mod, in my experience.

Again, welcome.

Last edited:

Latest posts