Another lesson learned while working on a 1911

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
Thought I should share something unusual that I recently learned, about working on a 1911.
Some months ago, I had noticed a Stan Chen Shooter Installed mag well on sale at his website.

I'd recognized his name from products I'd seen online, & believed that he makes very high quality parts..so I was interested.
It was a good sale, the product has great reviews, so ordered a few.

Put the 1st one in an blue STI Spartan 45 I own. It fit very well ,blended snugly against the frame, great fit!
Looks & works as intended, am very pleased with it.

The SS model I bought was goiong on one my favorite 1911's..my full-size, Springfield Armory Loaded target, chambered in 9mm.
Thought it would be as straight forward as installing it in the STI. , an easy drop-in part, & I was wrong.
Not recognizing the difference, I swapped out the pieces in the mainspring housing, & installed the new mag well..
it didn't work.

What ? After puzzling about it, took it over to my gunsmith /guru..Doug Jones.
He looked @ parts, & explained my issue(s), why it wouldn't work.

Seems Springfield Armory uses their own style mainspring housing, at least they do on this pistol,
( as mine was box-stock @ this point) The "mainspring housing pin retainer" was too short to work with this housing.
I had to get a "normal" sized one, then reassemble. I believe I was able to use the oem mainspring cap, & retaining pin.

After getting the correct part, I reassembled with correct pin. This mag well also blends perfectly to the frame, Looks great.
and it seemed to work as it should. I will emphasize, it SEEMED to work correctly..as my learning curve
with this mod is not yet complete.

Taken to the range for some use, I was shooting some of my reloads..a couple of boxes loaded with same bullet,
& powder charge, but different primers. Some had CCI sp primers, others the remainder of some Tula primers
I bought when SP primers were almost impossible to find.

Most rds. functioned perfectly, then I started to get a few misfires..look @ primers, there's almost no sign of
a firing pin strike. Some, have no mark @ all. Scratch head, wonder, what's going on ?
Reload the misfires back in the mag, & they do fire. WHAT ?

Humm.. I keep shooting & then, set aside any more misfiring rds, for closer exam. End up having only about another half dozen out of
box of 50, but eventually notice, they're all the Tula primers. All the CCI primer driven rds. were fired w/o incident.

Hum.. wonder ? Does Tula use thicker / stiffer/ stronger steel in their primers cups ?
I've read that some brand primers are softer than others. Federals are supposed to be the softest / easiest to fire,
I've read... now I Wonder, where Tula falls on the hardness scale ?

I post on a local firearm forum & some say that yes, Tulas have very hard cups..O.K.,
but they have been firing in my other pistols w/o any light strike incidents...

Off I go to talk to my Gunsmith / Guru,..Doug Jones , again.
After looking @ my cases, he makes a suggestion.
I should remove the mainspring & check it's length.
It seems that Springfield Armory uses a slightly shorter mainspring in some (?) of their 1911's.
At least they did in mine. Comparing the the Springfield Armory part,
it's about 1/8"- 3/16" shorter than a std sized mainspring. Shorter ms =less impact on primer.

Replaced the spring..I believe the problem is now fixed.

Hope this post helps someone that may run into this kind of issue in the future.
when swapping up parts, compare part sizes..closely!

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
" the safety lock that some Springfield 1911s have?.. I believe that this device is in their msh and contains proprietary parts uniquely Springfield"

I believe you are correct. I never used ( or even paid any attention to ) the "safety lock" that came on my S/A Loaded Target.
This may be why the internal parts in the msh differed from any other 1911 I've worked on.
Guess I should look for the pieces that I removed from my S/A , and look more closely @ them.
I never throw away any parts I swap out from any rifle or pistol I "upgrade".. though I'm not actually organized in what I do with removed parts.
I do ( usually ? or at least, sometimes ? ) label what firearm the parts came from, when I stuff them in a plastic bag for ? future use.

2aCrisis

Fanatic
Springfield Arms,,, although they are very nice pistols, the reason i stayed away from them is they are not exactly Mil-Spec(as has been pointed out to me by some who know). Some, many, all, not sure which, are fitted differently than, say, a Colt. i'd love to hear more from SA owners on this site.

philmo11

Well-Known Fanatic
Springfield 1911s with the lock on the MSH is there for California compliance (and yes, they still make them). You would have been better served ordering a MSH with the internals already installed.

Pic of two new Springfield Loadeds purchased this year. One CA compliant (left), the other the standard model (right). The standard model has been discontinued. The CA compliant model is still in production as of my last check a few weeks ago..
F1FD6595-A34E-45D2-8227-8484745FD10B.jpeg
The internals are different to accommodate the lock.

HooDoo Man

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Peoples Republic of California (Northern)
I put Stan Chen SI Magwells on all my Springer 1911's. With the Brownell's MSH rebuild kits (the guts). They all fit great, look much better and work perfect. Get rid of the CA stock one. I even dumped the cheap 2-piece MW on my TRP for the Stan Chen.

Last edited:

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
That Stan Chen MSH install was a real learing experience..
taught me to compare replacement/ accessory parts to the oem ones when changing parts..

Latest posts