American Blackout

kg4kpg

Well-Known Fanatic
Program on National a Geographic about what life in America might be like in the first two weeks of a nationwide blackout resulting from hackers. Pretty interesting. Some of these people are totally f#?%{d ! :roll:

Oliver2w1

Well-Known Fanatic
And they wouldn't be if they would prepare juuuust a little bit and fully understand that THE GOVERNMENT WONT SAVE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry had to get that off my chest.

Underdude

Well-Known Fanatic
I thought it was a pretty decent show. And yes, those people were screwed.
Using a butchers knife as a can opener, investigating sounds in stairwells of high rise apartment buildings.....Still not as bad as being very well prepared with weapons, food, and water but sending someone else out on perimeter watch with nothing but a camera. You would think the entire family would be able to handle firearms.
Some gripes though.....Just my opinions, and I'd like to hear yours.

1) If possible wouldn't you have a concealed entrance to your bunker allowing you to go underground without going outside the house to get there?
2) Isn't concealing your fuel and water stores a priority?
3) Wouldn't you knock the piss out of your daughters boyfriend for sneaking around and passing out food?
4) If the place was secure then how does someone grab food and leave the house, then come back in without anyone hearing it?
5) How did the prepper guy install cameras on a high tower? I mean it wasn't his tower, right?
6) Do you or anyone else you know NOT have a can opener at home? I even have one in my car kit.
7) Stuck in an elevator during summer in Phoenix? That would suck. And the big strong jock guy ended up being the wimp, and drank more than his share of the little water they obtained.
WUSS!

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
who dont have a television? i dont have a cable, dish or satelite. charter is scared to go this far into the woods.

i finally found and watched it.

funny how it comes out right before the grid is going to be shut down. and you are a terrorist if you have more than a weeks worth of supplies. you must trust obammy. after all in the movie 8 days after the blackout he saves the day, by asking for help.

im afraid the 339 thousand deaths would be way under estimated.

HOLY DIVER

Well-Known Fanatic
show was ok,now i feel my swiss army knife in my pocket is worth much much more than the $20 i paid for it

PapaBear

Well-Known Fanatic
My wife watched it and is now understanding of my moderate water storage, lol. Once she found out it's worth $100 to someone, lol, she was cool with it.

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic
I used to cache water but have issues with it remaining potable. I've always been leery of putting bleach in, but I guess there's an amount that will keep the water clean without poisoning me.

We do have some gallons of distilled, that I guess will last until the seal is broken on them.

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
if you have a good filter saved water doesnt have an expiration date. there is one called the "million gallon filter", mainly because it can be backflushed, hopefully with clean water.

and if you havent seen the video, you can open a can by rubbing the lid on concrete till the lids crimp is almost gone and it starts leaking, then pull off the lid.

and one more, the magnesium and steel fire starters are great. scrape off some magnesium into a napkin or piece of paper, ball it up with the magnesium showing, strike your knife on the striker and as soon as the magnesium starts the paper does too. lots of time to make a fire.

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic
Cheetos also make a good fire starter/tinder. With all the preservatives, those will still be 'edible' and/or flammable long after we're all long gone.

PapaBear

Well-Known Fanatic
rotarymike said:
I used to cache water but have issues with it remaining potable. I've always been leery of putting bleach in, but I guess there's an amount that will keep the water clean without poisoning me.

We do have some gallons of distilled, that I guess will last until the seal is broken on them.

It's all about the container.

Even plastic "milk" jugs that you buy water in will degrade and contaminate your water after a few years.

Best bet is soda bottles, 2 liter size. The plastic is stable.

Or a large, food-safe, tank like the guys use for mobile pressure washing.

Parhams0508

Well-Known Fanatic
rotarymike said:

My family uses one gallon Hawaiian Punch containers and a few drops of bleach, but, depending on your water source, you may already be drinking chlorinated water.

Charcoal filters are the way to go! I'm still trying to figure out a way to make a disposable filter using activated carbon. AC can be bought in huge amounts from aquarium stores and websites, but if you buy it online in large enough quantities, you might get put on a list. AC is used for making filters to mask or filter the smell of drugs.

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
you can make charcoal.

put pieces of wood in a new paint can, bought at a paint store or wal mart, poke a hole in the lid and place the can on a fire. when smoke stops coming out its done.

same with charcloth in a sucrets chough drop tin. put cotton cloth inside.

Latest posts