all the deer friday and saturday

dlbleak

Fanatic
i've been driving the same route to my lease for 10 years and usually see a few deer along the way. friday i got off work and headed up to call a coyote or two. on the way home i was on the phone for some of the trip so missed looking around. then from the cimmaron river to edmond down hwy 74 i saw upwards of 40 deer! a buddy calls me saturday and says he's seeing herds of deer in places he's never seen deer before. this morning i went up to call a little and drop off some lumber. 3 dead deer along the highway, about as many as during the rut. whats the scoop? i realize the weather had been an issue but i was seiing large groups in areas i've never seen before also.

weav199

Fanatic
I hear ya! I ran out to my property a couple days ago to get soil samples, and saw 25 - 30 in a neighboring field. Took some phone pics, but they were too far to see clearly. I was just drooling...

dennishoddy

Whats going on, is the natural Browse is at its lowest right now with all of the snow, and cold weather.
The deer will lay up for a few days until hunger makes them get out and about looking for food.
I'm betting you are seeing them in wheat fields, or residential areas that have fescue/bushes and other grass's that remain green in the winter.

Since first rut in Nov, the bucks keep the doe groups busted up, and then there is a lull for a few weeks, and then the second rut comes on around Christmas. They breed the ramaining does, again keeping the groups busted up.
Breeding is done now.
the does have regrouped now, and the bucks have gone back to bachelor groups, sometimes mingling with the does in feeding areas.

Latest posts