Airguns

Midnight Raver

Well-Known Fanatic
BB and pellet guns are allowed- and shockingly, no permits are required now! However, I am sure certain types are verboten as well. I am unfamiliar with the rules and regs on the airsoft stuff here too. That being said, I sure like this one you have shown us!

Pops

Well-Known Fanatic
I've been looking, casually, of course, at some BB and pellet guns. These are not the same ones we had as kids.
We used to poke the point of the barrel in the dirt and shoot the dirt plug at each other.
surprisingly it could sting a bit at 10 feet or so.

I saw a Winchester air rifle at BassPro last week.
WInchester 1100X at BassPro
I was impressed with all the features, includes tru-glo night sites and a scope.
Here's another one.
Ruger AirHawk

Maddog

Well-Known Fanatic
I also have been giving serious consideration to picking up an Air rifle. We have an issue with Geese and they have no fear of man or woman, the grand-kids run them off when they can but the things just keep coming back and crapping all over my yard. I figure an air rifle would sting them enough to make them choose areas more friendly to their ass. I don't want to kill or permanently injure them but I figure with the thick feathers they have it would sting and not injure.

Now for the little 4 legged Tree rats I would love to have something strong enough to knock their balls off and drop em to the ground. Fried tree rat is some mighty good eating.

Midnight Raver

Well-Known Fanatic
Are you talking about Canadian Geese? They are the worst illegal immigrants around! Tree hugging hippie liberals go out of their way to protect them, ratting out anybody who uses more than harsh language on them. Maybe an airsoft pistol or rifle would be better, those plastic 6mm BBs they use would be better and cheaper. They won't have as much of a chance for damaging the geese while still pissing them off into leaving.

As for the tree rats, I know that the old Crossmann 760 Powermaster I had when I was a kid would do the trick. Newer BB or pellet rifles have greatly improved over the years. Some of the one pump target rifles in .177 or .22 coupled with the match grade conical nose pellets might even reach close to a .22LR level velocity these days!

P.S.- I hear Squirrel Stew is pretty good too. :cool:

Frost

Well-Known Fanatic
I like them cooked over charcoal with bbq sauce.
Rabbit rocks that way too.
The people I grew up next door to were big into hunting and fishing.

Maddog

Well-Known Fanatic
Tree rat Gumbo mmmmm mmmmmm I grew up half in Louisiana and half here in Rock Hill. My mom is 100% cajun and my pa pa was a hunter of anything that moved flew or crawled and he always said that a squirl in the tree was meat in the pot

Frost

Well-Known Fanatic
Maddog

The other day I was trying to explain to my daughter in law that when you eat crawfish you are supposed to twist the head off and suck out the juice.
What is disgusting about that?
It's just "Good Eats"

Maddog

Well-Known Fanatic
Oh Yeah man sucking head and washing it down with cold beer is an Epicurean delight.

I thought about the airsoft but I know those darn little plastic pellets would end up all over the yard and the grandkids would spread them around. Still I want something to zing them.

Maddog

Well-Known Fanatic
You know Frost that is a thought. I was at Northern Tool yesterday wandering the aisle while I killed time at lunch and stood in front of the display of Slingshots and the ball bearing ammo and the thought never entered my mind. However you have planted the seed and I will vigorously investigate this option, a lot cheaper for sure.
But I hate to deprive the Grand Kids (and myself) of a new toy to shoot....

Frost

Well-Known Fanatic
Northern Tool sells slingshots???

Here is what you do.

Use the slingshot in your yard.

Send the grandkids over to cleanse the neighbors yard of tree rats with the airsoft.

Maddog

Well-Known Fanatic
Yes they sell the ones called wrist Rockets or a knock off of them. I go in there and you never know what you will find. They had a good bit of Camo pants and shirts there also. You know their motto "if its made in China we will stock it"...lol.

WFR

Fanatic
My in-laws just bought a place in NC and I ended up with 3 airguns from the estate.
One is a break-action .177 pellet rifle.
One pistol is a .177 pump-style pellet gun and the other pistol is a CO2 powered .22 cal that's pretty loud with a fresh CO2 cartridge on board!

Maddog

Well-Known Fanatic
Thats the best way to get them---free. The more we talk about them the more I want to investigate them but some of the things are pretty pricey, that Whisper brand / series is high end to be sure. Still I will get real serious about them after the first of the year.

Pops

Well-Known Fanatic
My grand mother made me Squirrel Mulligan one time. It was greasy, but actually quite tasty.
I got this recipe from: http://www.grouprecipes.com/28932/squirrel-mulligan.html

Ingredients

* 2-3 squirrels, cleaned (or substitute about any meat you want to)
* 6 cups or so of water, need will vary depending on the size of the squirrels
* 2 small or 1 large sweet onions, chopped
* 2-3 medium potatoes, diced
* salt, black pepper, red pepper to taste
* 1 cup rice

Directions

1. In a large pot, bring water to a rolling boil and add squirrels. *IMPORTANT* Do not add salt to the water at this time! Wait till the meat is tender, then add salt or the meat will be tough. It's OK to add pepper now, it will add some flavor to the meat.
2. Reduce heat, cover and simmer slowly till meat is tender, 2 hours more or less, depending on the age and size of the squirrels.
3. If you wish, remove cooked meat, let cool, debone and return meat to the pot, some people don't debone the meat and that's fine, too. It just adds more flavor to the finished dish.
4. Now, bring the pot back to a boil and add onions and potatoes.
5. Stir, add water at this time if needed. There needs to be enough hot broth in the pot when the veggies are al dente (almost tender) to cook the rice.
6. Add rice, stir, cover, reduce to low heat, cook 14 minutes.
7. Remove from heat, stir and add more seasonings to taste.
8. Serve with hot sauce.

Pops

Well-Known Fanatic
ooo! I like the ice cubes in a wrist rocket idea. no bullet fragments for them to pin it on you! :D

Where I went to school they had geese all over the place, geese are crap machines. they destroy everything in sight, they will attack you unprovoked, and the campus ticket weasels will fine you for defending yourself. I used to hold my book bag between me and the little terrorists. they would peck the bag. As long as I didn't swing the bag in their direction I figured they would have a hard time making a case. If the stupid goose wanted to peck my bag I'll let him. the problem arrises when the little bastards get you surrounded. :eek:

Dirk Pitt

Well-Known Fanatic
I got a brick of CB rounds for my Savage MK II .22 LR. It's been my intent to use that to fill the role of an "airgun" for vermin and general round the yard stuff.

Frost

Well-Known Fanatic
CB caps really are not much louder than a pellet gun.
I haven't shot any in years though.
It would be interesting to measure the DB of an adult pellet gun and a 22 rifle shooting a cb cap.

Pops

Well-Known Fanatic
I've been pricing some of the higher end air rifles. those things can get very pricey. I wish there was a way to try a few to get the feel of what you get for your $300.

They have some in the $100 range, but when you are willing to squander $300 to $400 and up you get an air rifle that looks like a real gun.

As much as I like to plink I bet a good one would be a lot of fun for a cheap price.
A vendor at the gun show this weekend had some russian made pellet rifles he was selling for $65.00.
They looked well made, but having no way to judge them I couldn't justify the money against the risk. For a little more cash I can get one I can send to teh manufacturer for repairs it necessary.

Latest posts