AAR- SC-NC CARBINE SKILLS CLASS

BHE

Active Fanatic
AFTER ACTION REPORT by: R. Parker

This class taught by Larry Brown focused on the use of the M4 style carbine. The instruction centered around how to effectively deal with recoil of the gun allowing for fast and accurate follow up shots.

The class was hosted at the PHA range in Linwood NC ( http://www.phashoots.com/). This range is north of Charlotte and hosts several different shooting disciplines. The class was held in training bay 3 which sported ranges from 10 yards to 25 yards. ISPC targets were used as steel was not allowed in this training bay. Round count was approximately 400.
The levels of experience were new guy to shooter who shot competition occasionally. AR?s were the predominate platform though one shooter came with a AK.

Once the mandatory safety briefing was done all shooters had the time to adjust and confirm their zeros at 25 yard. Once the zeroing was done each shooter was brought to the 10 yard line and asked to shoot (2) 6 shot groups. Larry observed and then critiqued each student on his form and his ability to control recoil.

Once all the shooters had been evaluated Larry began the training. The focus of the class was on proper stance, grip, body mechanics to control the recoil of the weapon. Larry emphasized the use of the lower body and techniques in which the body can be used to dampen the recoil of the gun. Larry demonstrated several times how he could control the muzzle rise. He was able to do ? second shots in 2-3-4 strings and was able to keep his shot groups in 2 inches. Even at the 25 yard range I estimate he kept his groups at around 3 inches or less for the most part. Larry taught that you do not double tap on 1 sight picture you must wait for the sight picture to settle before pulling the trigger. Another concept the shooter must keep in mind is hold over / under. ?A rifleman must know his weapon, its capabilities and characteristics to be effective? Larry said more than once during the class.

As the day continued on different skills were added. Engaging multiple targets, a short introduction to shooting and moving or should I say shooting on the move. Once the shooters had been instructed in these techniques a simulation stage was set up in which there were engagement of targets at short range both strong and weak side involving shooting on the move, then movement to engage targets further down the range. The next skill set was learning to shoot from the weak side, easy to say difficult to perform at least for this shooter. Once we had worked this evolution the class moved on to shooting around and from a barrier

This is the second class I have taken from Larry. The first was a fundamentals in handgun and now basic fundamentals in carbine. Larry?s has the ability to teach the subject he knows. The passion, dedication, and ability he brings to the class is first rate, and he gives each student his attention and focus. Larry says that he has several layers of instruction and is equally accomplished in handgun, carbine, and shotgun. I asked Larry to share with me his CV so that I could pass it along so the reader could appreciate his accomplishments. I look forward to the next opportunity to take another class with Mr. Brown and I would strongly encourage anyone looking to work on their shooting skills to seek Larry out @ [email protected]

Larry Brown?s CV
Full Time Professional Shooter since 1995
US Standard Team (World Shoot, Brazil 1996) Team (1st Overall) Individual (7th Overall)
Won Modified US Nationals 1997
IPSC Grand Master- Open & Limited
IDPA Master (SSP)
Bianchi Master
Pin Master
NC State Champion (IPSC Limited) 6 straight years 1996-2001
Certified Firearms Instructor since 1995 VIR, Trigger Time Training Facility
Certified Military, Police, and SWAT Instructor
Contractor for Wackenhut Security, Triple Canopy Security, DynCorp Security
Instructor/Contractor for Blackwater Security
R&D Engineer for numerous OEM Firearms Manufactures
Many Regional and Local shooting titles

BHE

Active Fanatic
From a class participant:

I can't wait to get out there for another class. I've been practicing my stance at my local range so I don't forget it. It really has been making a difference in my shooting and recovery time. I believe I learned more in those 300 rounds I shot at Larry's class than I have in all the time I spent at ranges before. Please thank Larry again for me and I can not wait to get to his next class!!
Brian

IMG_0654.jpg

IMG_0661.jpg

IMG_0659.jpg

IMG_0668.jpg

IMG_0652.jpg

IMG_0672.jpg

IMG_0673.jpg

IMG_0690.jpg

IMG_0697.jpg

IMG_0686.jpg

IMG_0688.jpg