A recommendation

Spiff

Semi-Pro
Eh, it wasn't that impressive. Just seeping out from under the nail. Pretty much quit now.

My lifter's welded...I think what happened was I got all ready to cram one in and it wasn't quite centered in the tube, so it didn't really go when I gave it a shove. My thumb did not appreciate it.

bsdubois00

Head Honcho Emeritus
Just curious when practicing reloads with a shotgun - do ya'll use live rounds or is there a dummy round thing ya'll use?

Troy

Well-Known Fanatic
Same thing here last night, on top of the knuckle. Anyone who wants to see Sunday, it should still be some scab left. :) Or I may make it worse tonight as I resume practicing.

I have some Fiochi (sp) dummy rounds that I have been using.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I have some Fiochi (sp) dummy rounds that I have been using.

+1

This is my thumb today because I can't stop picking in the calus.
7d8331c4.jpg

This was my thumb before the Pan American Shotgun Championship last summer.
SANY0006.jpg

No pain, no gain!

Chambers

actual GM
Damn. I must not have been loading enough. I've never had that happen.

I'm averaging 7.4 seconds to load 8 at the shoulder. Dips into the sixes occasionally. Lots of catching up to do...

jtischauser

I'm averaging 7.4 seconds to load 8 at the shoulder. Dips into the sixes occasionally. Lots of catching up to do...

That's only 1-2 seconds slower than the best of the best. All you ahve to do to beat me is miss one less time and you got me.

Troy

Well-Known Fanatic

How long have you really been practicing on reloading the shotgun. I'm around 8 seconds for six shells, that is my best estimate according to the 8 second videos I recorded. I just started last week. I know I need to get some work done on the lifter and maybe the loading port polished and ported.

Chris_Andersen

Certified
Getting consistently into the 6 second neighborhood takes about 15-20 hrs of practice. Lots of blood, blisters and broken fingernails. Have Mr. Cywrus open up your loading port and weld your lifter. That will help trememdously.

redneck1861

No, I didn't get arrested
I was watching some kind of shotgun competition on TV a few years ago, and the guys were using this tube looking thing to reload the gun, the tube held the ammo and they just put it up towards the shotgun and pushed something on that tube and it put the ammo in the gun, then they just dropped that tube and did it with a new tube...

What are those things called and are they not legal to use in 3 gun?

Chris_Andersen

Certified
I was watching some kind of shotgun competition on TV a few years ago, and the guys were using this tube looking thing to reload the gun, the tube held the ammo and they just put it up towards the shotgun and pushed something on that tube and it put the ammo in the gun, then they just dropped that tube and did it with a new tube...

What are those things called and are they not legal to use in 3 gun?

Speedloaders like that are very fast but push you into open division.

jtischauser

Being in open division means you are competing against guys with $3-4k race pistols and double optic rifles with bipods too. It's an expensive division to play in. It's also the only division where Saigas are allowed.

Spiff

Semi-Pro
This is my secret for minimizing thumb damage. It works...most of the time.

thumbcq.jpg

I loaded 8 somewhere in the neighborhood of 6.5s once last night. That's by far the fastest I've ever done it. I average somewhere between 7 and 8 seconds. 8+ seconds for armageddon.

irons_shooter

TOLA Guy
It's also the only division where Saigas are allowed.
Not always true sir. We allow them in limited and tactical in my matches as long as they meet the criteria of no comp/red dot/ and the magazines hold 10 or less. Also, the person who finished above me marked TI on his entry form and shot a non-comped saiga at Mesa last year. They are allowed in most places because they suck and don't run! :)

Latest posts