A new one to get running again............

44lover

Well-Known Fanatic
Is there any one who has any suggestions on fixin up and old Colt Police Positive? I bought one the other day for $100. And yes, it has something wrong with it, I knew that going in that's why I picked it up. I think all it needs is a hand assembly, the cylinder doesn't rotate and the hammer only moves half way when pulled back. The hand does not move either. Good idea or not. Any opinions out there?

Dave29461

Well-Known Fanatic
Dan I have the repair manuals by Jerry Kuhnhausen for the Colts. They convinced me that a gunsmith was my best bet for working on revolvers.
Dave

othomas3

Fanatic
I have a Colt New Army that was out of time. Cylinder wouldn't turn but if the cylinder was not in place everything worked. I called Colt Mfg and sent it back to them for repair and rebluing. Repair, reblue and return shipping cost $280.00. Waiting for the work to finish and the gun to return. Call them to see if they still work on your model.

http://www.coltsmfg.com/Contact.aspx
Contact Us
CUSTOMER SERVICE

Colt?s Manufacturing Company LLC
P.O. Box 1868
Hartford, CT 06144
USA

Tel: 800-962-COLT (2658) * Mon-Fri 9am to 5pm EST
Fax: (860) 244-1379

SHIPPING ADDRESS ** (Overnight Shipping Address for Firearms)

C.M.C.
2 Talcott Road
West Hartford, CT 06110
USA

CORPORATE OFFICE
Colt?s Manufacturing Company LLC
545 New Park Ave.
West Hartford, CT 06110
USA

Tel: (860) 236-6311
Fax: (860) 244-1442

* A free manual and catalog are available upon request.

To obtain service for your Colt firearm, make sure it is NOT LOADED and send it insured by UPS or FedEx to the Colt Factory. DO NOT ship through US Mail.

Before shipping your firearm, read and follow the procedure described in your Colt Instruction Manual. Where local laws require it, ship only via a current FFL holder. Do not ship a firearm whose serial number cannot be read.

Halfcocked

Well-Known Fanatic
Your older colt revolvers are notorious for timing issues. They probably have some of the best feeling actions of any revolver delivered from the factory,but they're not very sturdy. They're also a pain in the ass to time, I don't think Colt is taking them in that old anymore but if they are, thats where I'd send it. I worked the timing on my Diamondback,but when it came time for my Python to get worked I happily sent it to Colt.

44lover

Well-Known Fanatic
Okay, here it is. I got my vocabulary and parts mixed up.
The hand is fine and contacts the rachet the way it's supposed to. The bolt that locks the cylinder does not move when the hammer is pulled back giving the hammer only partial travel, all of the bolt peices are there and it does move when manipulated with a small screwdriver.
If I'm not mistaken on this, the safety lever moves the bolt down to allow cylinder rotation?
Any thoughts?

Red Hat

Well-Known Fanatic
It's been a long time since I've worked on a Colt. It's hard to say what's going on without having it in my hand. If you were closer I'd be glad to look at it for you. The best thing to do is call around and try to find a reputable gunsmith in your area.

Halfcocked

Well-Known Fanatic
44lover said:
Okay, here it is. I got my vocabulary and parts mixed up.
The hand is fine and contacts the rachet the way it's supposed to. The bolt that locks the cylinder does not move when the hammer is pulled back giving the hammer only partial travel, all of the bolt peices are there and it does move when manipulated with a small screwdriver.
If I'm not mistaken on this, the safety lever moves the bolt down to allow cylinder rotation?
Any thoughts?

Bring it by the shop tomorrow and I'll take a quick look at it,whom ever had it before may have not installed the bolt,safety and trigger correctly.

44lover

Well-Known Fanatic
First I want to thank Halfcocked for taking time out of a busy Friday to give advice to a novice. I did order parts today. A bolt, boltspring, bolt screw and trigger assembly. Bear Creek Guns and Numrich come to the rescue. Man are these parts gettin hard to find. Work to begin as soon as parts arrive. A complex job but am looking forward to the experience.

Thanks again Halfcocked.

44lover

Well-Known Fanatic
Well, I don't think I'll be an old Colt revolver guy after all. What a P.I.T.A, It's just gonna end up in a drawer to collect dust, I'm afraid. The new trigger assembly fits in nicely, but the safety lever still has no contact with the bolt to move it. The lever now moves with the hammer and trigger like it's supposed to. But am still at square one with it. I'm not gonna put the new bolt and spring in, because I'll just be swapping parts pointlessly. So it goes in a drawer, till I figure something else out.

Latest posts