A comparison of Kahr CW9 vs CW.45

Maddog

Well-Known Fanatic
I picked up a Kahr CW45 down at the Columbia Gun show in July from Bob, of Upstate Armory ( http://upstatearmorygroup.com/) who gave me an excellent price. At least $50 cheaper than whats available locally here in ROCK HILL. I took it to the range this morning for the first time to run some rounds through it and compare it to the CW9. Now I will tell you I have been very very happy with the CW9. It pretty much goes everywhere it can with me and its never let me down. However I have always been a .45 ACP man. Don't start in on me with all the BS about a 9 being just as good as a .45.....I don't buy it.PERIOD, nuff said. ;ars

So Started out with about 30 rounds of .45 ACP Ball (Winchester) and as expected it ate it and processed it like Cr*p through a goose. Only issue and it was with me is the size of the CW45 is just larger enough that my hand was hitting the magazine release and dropping it on the next to last round. Took me a bit to figure it out but once I did the issues was resolved.

dsc01162j.jpg

dsc01163y.jpg

Another adjustment I had to make is that with the CW45 I was consistently shooting low. All rounds were impacting center of mass on a standard T1 target but lower at 15 yards by about 3 inch's than I am use to with the CW9. Again after a few rounds I made an adjustment and was soon back in center where I wanted it.
With the standard .45 ACP ball the recoil was not bad at all, a little more than the CW9 but really the comparison was insignificant to me. But I am a big handsome guy and I did have my shooting gloves on, arthritis is a ***** at my age.
CW45 is under the CW9
dsc01164medium.jpg

I switched ammo over to a box of Remington Golden sabers +p and ran about 15 rounds through it with no feed issues, so that was comforting. The recoil on the +p was a little more noticeable but was still not enough to worry me about keeping my firearm on target through the exercise.
dsc01165medium.jpg

So my final analysis is that the CW45 is a keeper. I will be pulling it down for a good wipe down and visual inspection of the interior and of course will report any significant issues I might find but from a quick look there is no obvious concerns. Now do I keep the CW9 or put it up for Sale / Trade....not sure what I want at the moment

Check in with Bob if you need a deal. He's worth the drive.

Frost

Well-Known Fanatic
Great write up, I love real world evaluations by real people especially when they have good pictures.

If I wasn't stuck in Glockville I might give them a try.
I agree about the 45 it is my go to caliber.
When something goes bump in the night I reach for a G-21 stoked with Federal HST.

armedpig

Well-Known Fanatic
Man Maddog you got me wanting to buy another Kahr. Not a poly though, I love their all steel guns.

Maddog

Well-Known Fanatic
I never knew that. All I know is that they preform to my expectations and I like the quality. I understand about some not liking the Polymer components of some of the newer firearms but I myself have chosen to embrace the modern upgraded materials. Heck even many of the major components on some of the most advanced military aircraft and weapons systems are made out of the new composites and polymers.

Only proven results over time will tell the tale ..............

And I am pretty much convinced that I will hold on to both the CW's. I love the 9mm to much to do away with it.

Pops

Well-Known Fanatic
I came real close to buying a Khar PM9 for my first CCW pistol. I did a lot of research on calibers, measurements, I even found and held as many of my choices as I could find.

As those who were helping me with my first foray into a CCW recall I was very stuck on the Khar. Alas, I went with the Kel-Tec PF9 due to the price difference.

Since that time I've become a "GunWhore" :D and will someday own a Khar too.

My caliber of choice is .40. I can handle it well and I've been migrating my personal firearms to a single caliber, .40. I have a GLock 22 and recently bought a Glock 27 that will replace the Kel-tec PF9. I like the PF9, it's about the same size as the Khar PM9 and is all plastic, so it is lighter. Ballistics jump big time between the .380 and the 9mm. Of course they jump again between the 9mm and the .40/.45.

Pops

Maddog

Well-Known Fanatic
For Pocket carry I have a little P3AT in .380. But its really for the times I can't carry anything else or just for running into a convenience store real quick. I try to carry one of my Kahr's everywhere but riding in the truck with the Supertuck can be an issues so they may get left behind for a quick run.
The overriding factor for me is that I can handle a Kahr very comfortably and with the arthritis in my hands that is a big issue.

Pops

Well-Known Fanatic
I agree about having a personal carry weapon that is comfortable. If all I could shoot comfortably was a .22lr, then that is what I'd have.

I almost bought the Khar in 9mm. It was a little more than I could afford at the time, but I had a difficult time putting it down.

Maddog

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm not sure what they go for down where your at but BOB at upstate cut me a deal because I am a forum member on a couple of other sites shared with him and he let me have the CW45 for $400 cash, like most places he marks up 3% for credit card purchases.
It might be worth the drive up 26 some time or hit him when he is at the Columbia Gun Show. I am not sure if he makes the one down in Charleston or not. I have never been to that one. One of these days I will have to suck it up and make the drive down to it.

Latest posts