Dan Wesson 5" Valor 9mm recoil spring weight?

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
I've got 650-700 rounds through a new full sized Valor. I am still having occasional failure to lock back on empty with Dan Wesson/Metalform mags (that seem to run best). I also have occasional failure to go fully into battery on reload utilizing the slide lock to release the slide with factory 124 grain FMJ brass cased ammo that I have run thousands of rounds in other 9mms. It just takes a light bump to push it into battery. I don't think this is ammo related.

The gun is run wet and run clean. No more than 150 rounds between cleanings now that is supposedly broken in.

My observation is that the recoil spring seems extremely mushy. I measured the recoil spring with digital calipers and the spring wire is thinner than the extra labeled 12lb spring that came with my Fusion.

Current plan is to run that 12lb spring in the Valor and see how it runs.

Last edited:

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I run a 12.5# spring in my 9mm RO. It does seem to "feel" a bit mushy, but it shoots great with it. I don't see how trying the 12# spring could hurt anything.

WWB

Well-Known Fanatic
11# for me works with the biggest variety of Ammo in a 9mm full size DW 12 causes weak ejection with some.

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
11# for me works with the biggest variety of Ammo in a 9mm full size DW 12 causes weak ejection with some.
I was also just wondering about the interaction of a heavier recoil spring with the current mainspring. It also feels a lot lighter then the mainspring in my other 9mm 1911.

WWB

Well-Known Fanatic
It's 19# it will run fine with a 11# recoil spring I believe factory is 10