45 Degrees mounted red dot

ad5md

Fanatic
I just received my red dot that I will install on a 45 degree angle beside my scope and would like to ask how I should zero it. Do I just shoot with the rifle resting on the rest like the way a scope is zeroed? Or should I cant it just like when doing the actual shoot? Thanks

Ernie

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
There is always a better way but this is what i did When I zeroed my offset dot.

I set my rifle in my CTK Precision rest and clamped it down. If you don't have the ability to clamp it just try not to move it. Put your primary optic on target. Slip over and look through the dot. This is where having a buddy along comes in handy. If you have a buddy there have them adjust the dot to get the primary and secondary point of Aim to be close. Once you close can't the rifle over like you would shoot it using the dot and fine tune where you want your zero to be.

ad5md

Fanatic
Jesse,

I'm not sure if I got what you're saying. Do you mean mount the rifle securely on a rest just like zeroing a scope and then from there look thru the dot (mounted 45 deg) and adjust the reticle where the target is or close to it then cant and fine tune? thanks

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
What I tried to do was get my dot on the same spot on target as my scope. That way you can get a hasty zero without using any ammo. It might be handy to put a plaster or something on the target to make sure both optics are zeroed on the exact same location.

JohnCea

Well-Known Fanatic
Well the best zeroing distance for a 45 degree offset red dot sight is 25 yards as long as the long as the angled sights are directly aligns with axis of thr barrel.