.45 ACP component recommendations

zb338

Well-Known Fanatic
All of the Bullseye target shooters use a 185 grain or 200 grain swagged or cast bullet
with 3.5 grains of Bullseye powder. I know it works because everyone that shoots
target uses it.
Zeke

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
I always shot 3.5 BE with 185 25 yds timed and rapid
4.2 700x at 50 yds slowfire with 200
no sight changes with these 2 loadings
All we shot for years

This data was shipped with my J Clark guns also

Jammer Six

Well-Known Fanatic
Bullseye, 231 and Unique are some of the oldest, nastiest powders man has ever invented.

I'd say pick a modern, cleaner powder. Better accuracy without the mess. Unique, in particular, trying to be all things to all guns never makes it above average in any of them.

My advice is always start with a manual. Usually, manuals list an "accuracy" load, and if accuracy is what you're after, start there.

Then I buy exactly what the manual lists, and use that as my starting load.

AlphaMutt

New Fanatic
Right now the answer might be "whatever you can find". Personal long-time favorite recipe is a plated or coated 230g ball with WST & Federal large pistol primer. WST is medium fast & reasonably clean. No reason to shoot lead. N320 is a another great powder, but expensive.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
Long time hand loader & lurker to the site.. (just registered)
Have learned the 45 acp round is NOT @ all fussy about which powder is used in loads.
I've personally used at least a dozen different powders & had good results with all of them.
Some are cleaner burning than others..some fill the case more, etc.. but all will propel the bullet
of you choice down range in an accurate manner..the shooter makes most of the accuracy difference.

Most recently, I'm using HP-38 (same as 231).. Titegroup, & Clays (cleanest burning power I've used),

For years I used to use a lot of A/A#2, A/A#5, Bullseye, Red Dot, but recently tried, & started using
Shooter's World Clean Shot, & Auto pistol.. both work very well.

Used primarily cast bullets, from a variety of sources. Had a friend that used to cast for me.
When I watched him work, decided casting is not for me (exposure to lead fumes, potential for burning myself-not worth the trouble)

Tried plated bullets for a short time, then found Hytek polymer coated bullets, from Falcon Bullets,
& Bayou Bullets. I like Falcon > Bayou, because Falcon uses some molds that cast TC shaped bullets,
& Bayou has more RN molds, it seems. I still buy from both companies.
I load 230gr, 200gr, 185 gr pills, like the accuracy (& neat holes) of the 185gr & 200gr best.

I'd suggest you try a variety of components & determine what you like best..there are no bad combinations I've used,
in my experience. I did stop using Bullseye, after many years as I didn't like the residue on my pistols & hands.
But if my powder supply runs low, I know it will work.
Happy loading !

Last edited:

uflraptor

Fanatic
, then found Hytek polymer coated bullets, from Falcon Bullets,
& Bayou Bullets. I like Falcon > Bayou, because Falcon uses some molds that cast TC shaped bullets,
& Bayou has more RN molds, it seems. I still buy from both companies.
I load 230gr, 200gr, 185 gr pills, like the accuracy (& neat holes) of the 185gr & 200gr best.
A few members have mentioned polymer coated bullets, both in the thread and others.
What has been everyone's experience with these?
I've only ever run semi or fully jacketed ammo through my beloved 1911s. Is there any adverse wear or damage these can cause. Currently my 1911s serve duty as my defense / carry guns. I do not want to compromise them in any way.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
I was initially concerned with possible bore erosion from shooting, essentially powder coated bullets.
Read up on Hi tek coating. http://hi-performancebulletcoatings.com/about-our-coatings/
Learned many of the competetive shooters @ my club are using polymer coated bullets in their loads.

I can attest, having tried these pills, in .380, 9mm, 38 Spec. 40 S&W, 44 Spec. & 45 acp.. there is no leading after shooting these,
just follow loading instructions, & you'll find that your bore is very clean. The coating doesn't separate off the bullet either.
Fire a round in the ground & you'll see the coating stays intact..attached to the bullet.
Still have some cast lead bullets in my stockpile, but my future purchases will be with Bayou or Falcon
for their polymer coated bullets.

cxm

Active Fanatic
Call me old fashion if you like... I still think Bulls-Eye is the best powder for 45acp. Bulls-Eye is the powder that was used when the 45acp cartridge was developed... worked really well way back then and still does.

There are a lot of good powders on the market... but for me the top three are Bulls-Eye, Clays and Unique.

As to other components it really doesn't matter... I use what I can get at the lowest price. For lots and lots of years I used cast bullets and they always worked fine, though you have to clean a good bit of 'gunk' out of the barrel after a shooting session... mostly lubricant and some lead debris. They are accurate and reliable and used to be about as cheap as it got.

These days the lead bullets that are copper plated are usually cheaper than cast and are cleaner as a plus. In addition they are easier on barrels than jacketed bullets, though jacketed bullets work fine.

FWIW

Chuck