.45-70 Government

bilall

Well-Known Fanatic
Does anyone have experience with this cartridge? I'm considering adding a Henry .45-70 to my small collection.
Also, any suggestions for a firearm in this caliber other than the Henry?

Crunchy Frog

Well-Known Fanatic
I've borrowed a couple of different rifles in .45/70 for "buffalo rifle" matches but I don't own one. What do you want to know?

bilall

Well-Known Fanatic
I tend to look for the unusual I guns now. I have the basics - AR15, .22 rifle and pistol, 9mm, hunting rifle... I've always been fascinated by the .45-70 cartridge and in looking at a new Henry, this seems to stand out above the big boy carbines and the .30-30 and .44 magnum.
Questions:
How is the recoil compared to a bolt action .30-06 or a .44 magnum rifle?
How about reloading your own?
For a rifle that mostly will be for collection and not to shoot all that much (say no more than 250 rounds per year), would you prefer the heat treated blue steel or the stainless steel model?
What about the all-weather model?
And most of all, do you think it is fun to shoot at targets (paper, metal silhouette, and so forth)?

If money were no object, I'd be looking at the Original Henry .44-40, but it's way over my budget at this time. So I'll just look at the .45-70 models.

Paco

Well-Known Fanatic
Chiappa also makes some nice .45-70 lever guns. I believe Taylors & Co imports them.

This is a Ridge Runner by Chiappa / Taylors & Co with a Bowers VERS 458 suppressor:
vrrcI9x.jpg

at_liberty

Active Fanatic
Does anyone have experience with this cartridge? I'm considering adding a Henry .45-70 to my small collection.
Also, any suggestions for a firearm in this caliber other than the Henry?
I would look at Cimarron and Taylor's for something authentic. Not sure what they did with 45-70, but the Henry action is suspect without the ability to quickly load a single round in a loading gate instead of a tube.

Latest posts