3-gun rifle question.

redneck1861

No, I didn't get arrested
Well since yall finally concvinced me to shoot a match with yall, I have fell in love with it, and am gonna be going to every one that I can. I am gonna be shooting the 3-gn match next month, I will have to use my current rifle, even though it is not set up for competition. I already know what shotgun I am gonna end up buying eventually. But need help with building a AR platform rifle.

I saw Rusty's upper that Chambers built and I like it. Chambers told me it would be around $800 to build a similar upper. But what about the lower? does anyone use anything special, or just whatever lower you have laying around?

I am gonna check out some rifles at the match tomorow, to see what they are like.

And then the next question I have is on optics. What is a decent 3-gun scope. I would rather not spend over $500 for the optic and mount.

redneck1861

what did his upper consist of?

Battle Comp, I think a Clark Custom forend, and some chrome barrel. Thats all I can tell from the picture. But Chambers would be aable to tell you everything since he built it. Just go in the AR picture Thread on OSA and you can see it. its the first page

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Interestingly, no one ever mentions how awesome their lower is. And the more I think about it, no one really mentions their lower period. Maybe rarely. I got the least expensive and most recommended AR kit from Cold Hand Arms, which is a semi-auto M4. Lots of people recommend shooting a generic gun to start, and then deciding what you'd like to change once you have some experience. Which is what I'm doing. Next month's match will also be my first, and the only thing I don't have that "everyone" recommends is an optic. I'm going to roll with irons, until things become more clear. You can always upgrade later.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
Its not a battle comp. Rusty's AR is the lightest AR I've ever held. That thing is pretty sweet.

Also nobody mentions the lower because it has next to nothing to do with the rifle except hold the fire control group and stock, which both of those can be changed to fit the shooter. The actual lower isn't that important as long as its "in spec", which means all the holes line up. Some times you might get an unlucky draw and get an out of spec lower but a call to the manufacturer usually remedies that situation.

Whatever lower you have will work. Changing the stock to better fit your preference for comfort and fit is easy. A good trigger is also very important, unless you're lucky like me and got a sweet stock trigger from the start.

The upper receiver itself isn't important so much either. the only thing there you have to decide on is if you want a forward assist or not. and m4 feed ramps or not. I always want the forward assist. I've seen several, 4 guys actually, not have a round go into battery, no matter how hard they racked the bolt, the round would not seat. Obviously it means something isn't right in the chamber, but it could just mean a little grim is in the way. a hard smack to a forward assist could have saved a stage.

A good barrel is important. length, gas system, twist rate, and material. I went with a 16" mid-length gas, 1:7 twist, stainless steel. its a little heavy, but it works. and works good. It shoots 50 grain JHP's and 55 grain FMJ's very well. I wish it was fluted to save some weight, maybe I'll do that later.

The handguard is personal preference but I would stay away from a quad rail system if you want to be serious about 3 gun and not ATAS. The less weight the better, for the most part.

A bolt carrier group is important. some people can get by with whatever they pickup at a gun show. But i think it takes the most beating and can be the most critical part of the system so I went all out and got the Nickel Boron coated Spike's Tactical M16 BCG. It has more mass than regular and somebody that is sensitive may be able to feel the added reciprocating mass when fired. I can't. Its NEVER miss fired or jammed or double fed or anything. NEVER. It cleans nicely, although I won't be spending the money on a BCG again. I;ll buy a quality BCG from Spike's or BCM, but won't mess with the special coating. Its supposed to be able to run dry forever. That's a lie. All moving parts need oil. Now with oil, it may run longer than a regular BCG with oil. But I don't have the time or funds to test that. Just my theory and opinion.

Optics are preference and I wouldn't skimp on them. A Trijicon TR24 is awesome. A little expensive but not as expensive as most. a 1-4x optic is the way to go, for me. It adds more weight than say an Eothingy or Aimpond. But the ability to switch from a 1 power "red dot" to a 4 power scope is invaluable, to me. The mount is kinda important but if you don't need quick detach capability, than the price can really drop on the mounts. LaRue is still my favorite tho.

This is all my opinion and I am relatively new to this competition thing. I started out with mediocre equipment and upgraded as I went. What I have now I love and I think I shoot decently enough with it. The next step for me is a trigger. And maybe a lightened bolt carrier.

redneck1861

Thank you for taking the time to post that, I am gonna just run what I have for now, however I will need a decent optic soon. I will probably just save some money and recruit some of yall to help me build a nice rifle. But before that I need to get a shotgun first. because I can't just borrow one all the time. I've got the pistol under control, but that brings up more questions. In 3-gun is there divisions? like limited or open? and if I shoot limited, will that be the same in 3-gun

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
In 3-gun is there divisions? like limited or open? and if I shoot limited, will that be the same in 3-gun
Yes, there are divisions in 3gun. As far as your pistol goes, it's either a limited or open pistol. Your shotgun & rifle will also have a bearing on which division you'll be classified. For everyone's clarification, You are classified for the entire match, not limited pistol, open rifle etc. There's a thread with all of the division definitions somewhere in this section.

redneck1861

What do you guys think of this? It is very much in my budget, but with the low cost, I assume that quality is less than the more expensive

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=221934890

redneck1861

Well I got to check out a few scopes at the match today, I checked out Ryan's Bushnell, someone else let me see their Millet, and Jeremy let me check out his I don't remember what it was, becuase it is out of my budget. I liked the Bushnell and the Millet, both seem to be quality made. I am probably gonna get the Bushnell for now, and upgrade at a later time.

toyfreak

Well-Known Fanatic
You might want to check out the Burris 1x4-24 tac 30. That's what I'm going.with. I have read nothing but good reviews on it. Only 300 bones!

redneck1861

You might want to check out the Burris 1x4-24 tac 30. That's what I'm going.with. I have read nothing but good reviews on it. Only 300 bones!

I looked at it, but I don't want to spend $300 right now for one, I need to get a better shotgun first, and then build a better upper. I just need something that will be good enough until I uprade to a good optic

Latest posts