3 gun- does anyone use a Saiga?

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
So, I'd like to start 3 Gunning for fun, and I keep getting pushed to obtain a Benelli M series. But I already have a Saiga 12, and granted the barrel is short at 19", but I really like it. I would trade it up for a Benelli, though, if having a longer barrel is really necessary. I also like that I can have mags at the ready, as I have two 13 rounders so far. It seems like the actual number of rounds fired in this game is relatively low.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Saigas are becoming more and more popular in 3 gun. They are mostly used in the Open Division. The ones we see at matches are highly modified like the R&R Racing guns here. http://www.randrtargets.com/ The biggest reason the aren't used more is reliability. They don't run all that well from what I hear unless you get them tuned by a good gunsmith.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
There's a saiga user at the local 3 gun matches. He's a fast open shooter & usually does pretty well. I do believe that his saiga has had problems each time though. Although this last match, there were a few benellis choking as well. None on our squad but a few of the regulars were talking about it after the match. It was a big shotgun stage.

I could be wrong but 1 problem I could see running into with a saiga is staging ammo. When you're shooting a stage that requires certain targets to be shot with slugs & others shot with buckshot & others shot with birdshot, it seems it could be more difficult to stage ammo. With a tube fed SG, you just pop it in the tube & it's your next shot. With the saiga you'd have to drop the mag, load it, pop the mag back in & then it's your next shot. I guess you could have mags set up for each ammo type, but again swapping them out as opposed to just drooping 1 in the tube seems like alot.

Chambers

actual GM
Heath shoots a Saiga that he converted himself. Kelly Raglin has an R&R Racing gun -- that's the $3,500 open gun with the JP comp halfway down the barrel. Link below.

http://www.randrtargets.com/saiga_shotgun_open.htm

I've dumped a mag through the R&R gun and it is so awesome! He never seems to have any problems.

IMO, the staging the slugs/buckshot is about the same as the tube gun. You count and put the shells where you need them. If it's advantageous you shoot them first or last, like on Mike's 34 rd. shotgun stage.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
IMO, the staging the slugs/buckshot is about the same as the tube gun. You count and put the shells where you need them. If it's advantageous you shoot them first or last, like on Mike's 34 rd. shotgun stage.
Until you miss or lose count in all of the excitement.
It'd suck to be DQ'd for hitting steel with a slug.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Oooh, I didn't know about the different shot-shells for different targets. Maybe I should roll with the long gun. And get to know what to expect course-wise.

I'm pretty sure the FTF and FTE probs are all low-brass related. Timing is everything when the fit and finish are there.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Oooh, I didn't know about the different shot-shells for different targets.
It's not every stage or even every match, but it does happen.
And It's definately alot of fun when it does. Last match, The Great Mike Pinto gave us a 34 rnd shotgun stage with a mix of Slug/Shot/Buck. It was a blast, trying to figure out how to carry enough ammo was almost as challenging as trying to plan the best way to shoot it. There were more than a couple of shooters that ran out of ammo before runnig out of targets. I ended up having to pick up a couple shells I dropped while loading to finish. There were poppers, plates, clays, stars & paper all in one gloriuos stage. You couldn't beat the smile off the face of most of the guys.

Latest posts