2nd Accidental Shooting this week involving a child

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
Easley Police tell 7 On Your Side a 6-year-old child in the back seat found the gun on the floor board and fired it, accidentally killing Alexandra Anita Santos.
Saturday in Gaston, a 5 year old boy picked up what he thought was his toy rifle out of a trunk. He fired the real weapon, striking and killing a 7 year old girl.

Child Accidentally Shoots And Kills Woman
http://www.wspa.com/story/25277406/chil ... ills-woman
(Sent from WSPA)

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
i thought i would have heard it here, or did i, but when did the new law about CWP owners being able to conceal a weapon anywhere in a vehicle come in.

were these 2 weapons owned by CWP holders? id bet not.

andyb

Active Fanatic
Tigerstripe said:
i thought i would have heard it here, or did i, but when did the new law about CWP owners being able to conceal a weapon anywhere in a vehicle come in.

were these 2 weapons owned by CWP holders? id bet not.

On the law, if it's true that would be news to me as well. But hey, wouldn't be the first time (and definitely not the last) that the news is wrong and/or writes inaccurate information.

On the second comment, CWP holder or not doesn't matter, either way they were irresponsibly stored/handled firearms with the presence of kids.

fordnut

Well-Known Fanatic
One thing that really shouted out to me...Why were LOADED GUNS left unattanded with kids around...

Sure hope no CPW Was that STUPID.....

Steve

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
thats where i was going. we dont want responsible people taking flack if they werent CWP holders.

in fact id like the point made that they werent, if thats the case because WSPA put those 2 points together in the segment.

"""its legal""" """CHILDREN got killed"""

jfeenin

Well-Known Fanatic
Yeah it had nothing to do with a CWP or not. If they had one the press may try to exploit that in a negative way. What it surely was is irresponsible. Who puts a handgun (loaded or not but especially loaded) in the back seat of a car with a 6 year old? It's a really sad situation.

I think the best possible scenario I can think (as far as why they would put the kid there with a gun there) is perhaps it was put there then forgotten about maybe even by someone who wasn't in the car at the time. It's possible she didn't know or realize the firearm was there when she put the child in the car.

Say for example the husband went to the range the day before, got sidetracked when he got home and planned to get it later but forgot. Next day she puts the kid in the car and the case is on the floor but she doesn't realize it but the kid opens it and finds it. We don't necessarily fully inspect the back seat when we're loading up to leave. It still shouldn't have happened and someone would still be irresponsible with it but I can see more how that would happen.

No matter how it happened the unfortunate result is someone died that didn't have to.

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
i dont see that as a good quote,,,, from a senator.

example

2nd ammendment one statement, how many attatchments have they legislated?

cburd44mag

Fanatic
It could be gang related, also. I know honest, upstanding folks make mistakes, but maybe the boyfriend, or "baby daddy" left it in the car. I had a friend that went to the range several years ago, left his pistol in the dash, and his son drove the truck to school. When the son realized it, he told his teacher he had to go home for a few minutes, she asked why. The boy, being honest, told her and ended up being expelled. I also remember an incident when I was in high school, 40 years ago on the west coast, where one of my class mates was called out of school, by the police and the principal, and had the car he was driving searched. Turns out, his dad was a gang-banger, and they found several stolen guns in the trunk. Anyway, honest accidents happen, and these two were tragic, whatever the circumstances. "You can't fix stupid", but I think there's more to one of the stories than is known right now. In the long run, it reflects on all of us. Just my two cents.............

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
Tigerstripe said:
i dont see that as a good quote,,,, from a senator.

example

2nd ammendment one statement, how many attatchments have they legislated?
Sorry for taking it out of context. I saw it as a good point of view, since I interpreted it as, "No additional 2A-violating laws could have prevented such tragedies caused by people not using common sense (leaving loaded guns where kids can access them unsupervised)." IOW (not to sound insensitive) you can't fix stupid -- with more laws.

Midnight Raver

Well-Known Fanatic
I read an article yesterday that mentioned the boyfriend may have been previously convicted of something that prohibits his ownership of firearms. Tried finding it today but no joy on that. Keeping a loaded rifle in a trunk isn't too swift, especially if your girlfriend knows nothing about it. Every one of these stupid incidents makes it so much harder on the responsible firearms owners out there.

armaborealis

Well-Known Fanatic
1) This is why my wife and I taught >200 kids the Eddie Eagle "Stop, don't touch, leave, tell an adult" mantra last week.
2) It wasn't an accident, it was negligence.
3) Isn't it already illegal to transport loaded rifles in cars in SC? I don't do it myself anyways for safety reasons so have never had to look.
4) This is an extremely rare occurrence:

I pulled the CDC WISQARS data and asked it to count the number of accidental firearms deaths for people aged 0-18 (i.e. minors) from 1999 to 2010. There were 49 deaths over that 11 year period. That is a death rate of 0.033 per 100K residents each year. In comparison, these are the deaths for some other much more dangerous things (figures again for all 11 years):
- Residential home fires: 123
- Drowning: 231
- Suffocation: 337
- Motor Vehicles: 1523

Over the 11 years there were 2514 reported unintentional deaths in this age group so firearms make up about 2% of the total.

I find the media hype to be disproportionate to the body count. Where is the outrage about smoke detectors not being checked for batteries, kids drowning in pools and buckets, and motor vehicle accidents? While most of these deaths are tragedies, you'd be much better off making sure kids are buckled up if you want to reduce the body count.

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
Hmmm... buckled up. So anyone ask how does a buckled up kid reach the floorboard?

These tragedies only win over votes for mainstream acceptance of "common sense" restrictions on our rights -- training required before ownership, registration, smart guns, etc. All of which violate that "shall not be infringed" thing some of you may be familiar with.

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
yes, moms demand action is on the news tonight, demanding action. they want to change the stand your ground law in SC.

why cant a gun owners group get it together and demand action nationwide?

appathy?

jfeenin

Well-Known Fanatic
Because stand your ground has anything at all to do with either of these situations. Just goes to show that the anti's capitalize on any kind of tragedy they can. Says a lot about the kind of people they are.

Latest posts