28" M2 Pro's and Con's

MarcCT

Fanatic
Hi Guys,

I have been hard headed to date and I have been shooting my trusty 870 pump in Factory.

Fortunately (Or unfortunately depending on how you look at it.) I need to get a semi SG to keep up with and compete with the other guys in the Club Series.

Unfortunately we aren't spoilt for choice here in SA and very often you need to purchase what is available, rather than what you actually want.

I have decided I want to go for a Benelli M2, but the only stock currently available in country is a 28". I intend on adding a +9 Nordic extension which if my calculations are correct, will take the tube just past the 28" barrel.

My question is: Is a 28" barrel too long and what are the pro's and con's? I don't want to take a 28" because it is what is available and regret it later.

Any and all is advice is appreciated.

For the hell of it, here is a video of me with my trusty old 870, short stroking and all. Something I won't miss is the fact that you cannot load an 870 if the forend has moved even fractions of an inch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aty_NC7wWyE

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Only disadvantage is a few extra ounces at the end. I wish I had a 28" M2 actually. I coukd run Diffusion choke on everything.

gondo

Well-Known Fanatic
For what its worth i shoot factory and i have a 26" and +9, since i shoot factory all the time I am seriously considering getting a 21" and shorter tube... if you are in factory it is just a bunch of weight out front IMO... somebody please tell me im doing the wrong thing and save me the money

Tech

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm no expert, but aren't you losing some velocity with the super short barrels? (18-21"). It sure seems like the guys that bring the "tacticool" 18" gun have a hard time knocking down plates, where my 26" er usually punishes the plate. Maybe those guys have a fixed cylinder bore too, but I usually run I/C for almost everything.

Troy

Well-Known Fanatic
I used an 18" barrel for a few years and now a 21" and I never had a hard time knocking down plates using a modified choke.

Latest posts