.22 rifle help

dhayden81

Well-Known Fanatic
I am looking to buy a good target .22 lr rifle and wanted some input from anyone with experience with either one of the rifles I have narrowed it down to, or any other suggestions. I have pretty much decided between the Remington 597 with heavy barrel or the Savage MKII FV. Any help with accuracy and quality would be awesome.... Thanks

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic
Any of the Savages with the AccuTrigger will be great. Just pick the style, stock, and color and you'll be set.

Also, don't discount the Marlin .22's. I am looking at a Marlin bolt gun...their XT-22 line comes with the Pro-Fire adjustable trigger (the one I'm looking at is the XT-22RZ with the threaded barrel)...the XT series can be picked up depending on the model for $150-$200. I have an XT-17 and it's a tack driver. Unbelievably accurate and a very solid rifle. I love the Marlin brand...probably because I started deer hunting with a Marlin .30-30 when I was a kid.

armaborealis

Well-Known Fanatic
I love my Marlin 39M. The "M" carbines are hard to find but the "A" models are easy to find. They're great if you like lever guns with all that entails. Depends on the type of target shooting you're into I guess -- a lever would be fine for offhand but not so good for prone...

Regulis7

Well-Known Fanatic
The Savage, being bolt action, will cycle almost all standard .22LR rounds, bulk pack, sub sonic to very high end target rounds. Once you find the brand/type ammo it shoots best you will be a very happy shooter.

The Remington, being a semi auto, may have problems cycling the ammo it produces the best groups with, this will cause a dilemma... find a less accurate round to use because it cycles better or use the more accurate round and deal with some cycling issues. Been there done that with the 597 and 10/22.

fiundagner

Well-Known Fanatic
I?ve had my marlin for 35 years, and I can tell you it was manufactured prior to 1968. I have had only two problems with it in that entire time. The extractor spring is wearing out and not wanting to eject rounds (after tens of thousands of rounds through it I?m not really surprised by that) and the stock is about due for a replacement because one of the mounting screws for the action is stripped. It?s a marlins model 96 if I remember correctly. (bolt action, 5 shot detachable magazine). It works fine for me whether I am running CCI mini mag or Remington bulk ammo. It is light, accurate, reliable, durable, and inexpensive (the current model was only about 180 the last time I looked). I highly recommend the marlin bolt actions.

Latest posts