22-250 Problems

JRiddle

Well-Known Fanatic
I've been reloading for 20 years, so I'm not a newbie at it, but have just started loading for my 22-250 Handi-Rifle. I worked up two different loads both using 50gn Hornady v-max. First load using 36.5gns of Win748, which according to my Hornady#7 manual, should be in the 3750fps range.(I don't have a chrono) The other I loaded with 36gns of RL-15, which according to manual should be around 3750fps. The max loads listed are 0.5gns more than what I loaded...37gns and 36.5gns respectively, which would yield about 3800fps(according to book). Problem is that both are making keyholes at 100yds. I've shot factory loads from Remington, 55gnSP that they advertise at 3680fps, and shot Winchester, 45gnJHP advertised at 4000fps...both have shot very well, especially the Wins. So tell me what I'm doing wrong...The fact that I've shot them heavier and slower with the Rems without keyholes is what puzzles me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Stan in SC

Well-Known Fanatic
I used to have a problem when reloading .303 British.I would get keyhole effect with 2 groove barrels.The answer was that the barrel would not stabilize a boat tail bullet for whatever reason.I switched to flat base bullets and the problem disappeared.Maybe that might be the answer to your problem.
You may already have this but here's a link to a good reloading resource.
http://www.reloadersnest.com/

Stan in SC

HOLY DIVER

Well-Known Fanatic
i think its a bullet/twist rate problem.the wieght of the bullet does not conflict with the twist rate its the length of the bullet vs twist rate witch makes it stabalize or not stabalize

Latest posts