2016/2017 hunting/fishing contest ENTRY's only!

dennishoddy

Here is the deal folks.
BoomerShooter is going to sponsor another contest thread for the hunting and fishing forum.
We have two Freedom Munitions Gift Certificates for $50 each.

This is going to be an easy one.
From October 1(I know its after that, but you can post your pics from that date) until January 15, post pics and stories of your hunting or fishing pics. Deer, quail, pheasant, trout, crappie, or whatever you go into the field to hunt/fish.
Jan 15, I will do a random number draw and post it online like years past.

RULES! Pics and stories in the same post in this thread if you want to be eligible for the prize. I will create another thread to post your pics that folks can comment in.

All mods/admins are eligible with the exception of myself. I will not be eligible as I'll be drawing for the prize.

Posts that are not applicable will be moved into the proper forum and you won't get a butt chewing. LOL.

Lets have fun with this one.

59nolimit

Well-Known Fanatic
I took my daughter hunting last pheasant season for her first hunt of any kind. She really enjoyed it and I was happy to finally have some birds back in SW KS. We had a bad hail storm several years ago followed by a long drought that really hurt the population. Well last year finally was a good year but she didn't get a bird. This year we have had a double hatch and should be FANTASTIC! Anyway I went dove hunting for the first time spur of the moment a couple months ago. When I came home my daughter was upset because I didn't take her. I told her it was dove and not pheasant but she didn't care. So I had to take her out the following day. Not near as many birds but she got the 3 that did come within shooting distance. We need to make the range this next week for some practice but we both are ready for next weekend to be here already. So anyways this is the result of my daughter's first dove hunting experience.

Attachments

• IMG_20160911_104931028_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160911_104931028_HDR.jpg
    334.6 KB · Views: 32

LuckyDucky

Well-Known Fanatic
This morning I saw 3 bucks and a doe, or maybe it was 4 bucks... all at once. I didn't shoot because the sun was directly in my eyes washing out my scope. One of the bucks was the really big one I saw on the game cam.

This evening, a buck came back through. I shot and he took off running about 40 yards then stopped. I shot again when he stopped and he went down. Turns out I had a double-lung first shot at about 130 yards that nicked the top of the heart and the final shot hit the spine at about 170 yards and stopped him. I'm glad I didn't have to drag him out of the woods.

pyk6fCt.jpg

Josh Beauchamp

Well-Known Fanatic
Got a late start opening morning if gub season. Overly cold that morning (to me at least) but got to my stand about 6:40. I use a climbing stand and had trouble getting up my my tree because the cable kept hanging up in the bark. Took about 15 minutes but I made it up the 25 or so feet I wanted to go. Sun was just starting to break through the trees enough to see. As soon as I sat down I saw this buck pop out of some brush in front of me. Brought up my rifle and dropped him in his tracks. As this happened before anyone else I was hunting with even made it to their stands I was stuck dragging him out alone. Will definitely go down as one of my best hunting memories.
Got a late start opening morning if gub season. Overly cold that morning (to me at least) but got to my stand about 6:40. I use a climbing stand and had trouble getting up my my tree because the cable kept hanging up in the bark. Took about 15 minutes but I made it up the 25 or so feet I wanted to go. Sun was just starting to break through the trees enough to see. As soon as I sat down I saw this buck pop out of some brush in front of me. Brought up my rifle and dropped him in his tracks. As this happened before anyone else I was hunting with even made it to their stands I was stuck dragging him out alone. Will definitely go down as one of my best hunting memories.

Attachments

• 20161119_100647.jpg
    20161119_100647.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 13

Tech

Well-Known Fanatic
I have kind of started a tradition of taking my son bow hunting for deer on, or close to his birthday for a few years now. Sunday November 6th was his 7th birthday. We went down to go hunting. I hung another stand by mine for him to sit in. We were on the edge of a field in a tree row. A doe and fawns came out. The fawns came out first, and then the momma. It was kind of a rushed shot trying to make sure Grant, my son could see. I ended up hitting her in the spine. Making a "crack!" Grant says, "wow dad, that was awesome! I've never seen a deer drop like that with a bow before!" (Him not knowing it was a bad shot.) She struggled a little bit before she turned to get a good angle to where I could get another arrow in her to finish her off. The whole time her fawns stayed about 100yds off watching. Grant said that her "friends" didn't want to leave her. It was kind of a bad deal, and I was worried it would bother Grant, but he was perfectly fine with it.

Then when we start to gut her he sees her udders and says, "that's where her babies would drink milk if she had babies, right Dad?" "Yep, you're right," I said. As I cut through the skin some milk comes out, and Grant asks if mommy deer can have milk if they don't have babies. I said" nope, they have to have babies to have milk." Grant says, "oh." Pauses for a minute, then says "oooooooohhhhhhhh, I bet those were her babies!" I said, "yeah, it's kind of sad, but that's the way it works if people need to eat meat, and the babies are plenty big enough to live on their own now." He was again ok with it. Then his wheels are reall turning in his head and I can see he's thinking. He asks, "how do deer have babies Dad?" I was caught off guard and asked what he meant. He says "people go to the doctor and the doctor cuts the baby out of mommy's tummy, but deer can't go to the doctor. How do deer have babies?" I am then sitting there thinking, oh ****, what do I say? Then it pops into my head. My Dad ranches, and raises cattle. I asked Grant if he had ever been with Grandpa and seen a baby calf born? He thinks and then says, "oh yeah! They poop them out their butts!" "Yep" I said!

All in all, it ended up a fun, learning, hunt. He was really interested in cutting the deer open to see what was inside, and wasn't grossed out. He wanted to touch the heart, and I made him actuall hold it. He thought it was cool, and was surprised at how heavy it was. It's amazing how understanding and intrigued kids can be if us adults don't put ideas into their head to freak them out!
View attachment 11944

Attachments

• Treestand selfie.jpg
    Treestand selfie.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 11
  • birthday doe.jpg
    birthday doe.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 9

Phil Underwood

Fanatic
Team Triangle Shooting Sports hunting trip for our youngest member
Shot the hog with Bennys 3 gun AR
Buck with a 270
Katie Underwood
Ty Gentry
Benny Hill

Attachments

• IMG_6043.PNG
    IMG_6043.PNG
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6074.JPG
    IMG_6074.JPG
    267 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6054.JPG
    IMG_6054.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6044.JPG
    IMG_6044.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6039.JPG
    IMG_6039.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 11

trimantrekokc

Well-Known Fanatic
it has been a wonderful year of hunting this year. Between my daughter and I we have filled our freezer and helped a friend with another. taken out 2 coyotes and a bobcat.
had a group of does come through and she knew something was off, tried to circle around down wind. stopped at 30 yds and was dropped to duck the shot which unfortunately meant a high spine hit. made it about 40 yds before collapsing and ended up needing a follow up shot. I absolutely hate wounding an animal! first deer with an Xbow and now back to compound and after pigs and maybe a deer?

Bret

Attachments

• new years day.jpeg
    new years day.jpeg
    105.4 KB · Views: 10

Latest posts