2012 Firearms Bill - Introduced

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
I pulled these from my friend, Brian Altenhofel's blog. I will just list them all in one thread instead of seperate ones

HB 2193 by Rep. Jason Murphey doesn't really need a whole lot of discussion. It simply proposes to amend firearm storage laws to include ammunition. This is presumably to prevent employers and other entities from being able to enforce policies that prohibit the storage of ammunition rather than just the storage of a firearm in locked vehicles in parking lots. What good is that gun that you carry without ammunition, after all?

SB 1076 by Sen. Steve Russell adds a preclusion to the issuing of a concealed handgun license. This preclusion prohibits the issuing of a concealed handgun license to an individual who has previously been determined incompetent by a lawful authority. However, while it does not allow an exemption for most individuals who have successfully had their alleged mental illness treated, it does allow an exemption for veterans who have successfully undergone treatment for post traumatic stress disorder.

SB 1092 by Sen. Steve Russell allows NRA instructors or Oklahoma Self Defense Act instructors to issue a document to students that they deem qualified to carry a firearm openly. There are no fees attached, however, a prerequisite is that they have been instructed on the open carry laws of Oklahoma. The bill does not state whether or not this instruction can be in conjunction with or must be in addition to the current course offered for a concealed handgun license. It does not require the document to be issued. It does not set nor does it prohibit a fee for the document.

HB2416 by Rep John Enns would change the language of the SDA. It would make it illegal for an SDA licenee to "intentionally display the handgun in an angry or threatening manner and not in necessary self-defense"; then adds: "a concealed handgun licensee shall not be in violation of this subsection if the licensee, when carrying the handgun in a concealed manner, briefly and openly displays the handgun to the ordinary sight of another person."

HB2384 by Josh Cockroft modifies language in the SDA, takes Elementary and Secondary schools off of the prohibited list. Then makes it just like colleges, that one can CC in their car into the parking lot, and only continue to carry if they have written permission from the school board, etc of the school. The would allow SDA licensees to carry back and forth to schools.

HB2383 by Josh Cockroft would delete the language from the SDA that limits the cost of the required training to $60. It replaces it with language that allows the provider of the training to establish the cost.

HB 2309 by George Faught proposes to change the language in the SDA that requires one to notify police on first contact during the course of a detention, arrest or traffic stop. This bill appears to say that a licensee under SDA would only have to notify WHEN SPECIFICALLY ASKED by law enforcement if they are carrying a weapon during the course of a detention, arrest or traffic stop.

Oldtimer

Well-Known Fanatic
I saw some where that they wanted to drop the cost of CCL to about $35 but didn't see a time period to go with that cost.
Thanks Burk

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
I saw some where that they wanted to drop the cost of CCL to about $35 but didn't see a time period to go with that cost.
Thanks Burk

Do you mean the cost of the permit or the cost of the class?

I'm not sure about lowering it to $35 specifically but HB2383 lets the provider determine the cost of the training class

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
I am not going to start a new thread but what does everyone think about the merits of HB2416? Is it even needed, or should we just rely officers discretion? I hate laws for every little scenario imaginable. That's the problem now, too many laws that aren't needed.

2. For any person with a valid concealed handgun license issued pursuant to the provisions ofthe Oklahoma Self-Defense Act to intentionally display the handgun in an angry or threatening manner and not in necessary self-defense; provided, however, a concealed handgun licensee shall not be in violation of this subsection if the licensee, when carrying the handgun in a concealed manner, briefly and openly displays the handgun to the ordinary sight of another person.

View attachment 2119

Attachments

• HB2416 int.pdf
    23.9 KB · Views: 96

Swavy00

Well-Known Fanatic
I think it's already covered.

Except for an act of self-defense, it is unlawful to point any firearm, whether loaded or not, at any other person.

It is unlawful to willingly or maliciously disturb the peace and quiet by shooting or brandishing a firearm.

~^♥^~

Fanatic
I am not going to start a new thread but what does everyone think about the merits of HB2416? Is it even needed, or should we just rely officers discretion? I hate laws for every little scenario imaginable. That's the problem now, too many laws that aren't needed.

2. For any person with a valid concealed handgun license issued pursuant to the provisions ofthe Oklahoma Self-Defense Act to intentionally display the handgun in an angry or threatening manner and not in necessary self-defense; provided, however, a concealed handgun licensee shall not be in violation of this subsection if the licensee, when carrying the handgun in a concealed manner, briefly and openly displays the handgun to the ordinary sight of another person.

View attachment 2119
I think what this is trying to cover is those accidental times that you reach for something off a shelf and you expose your concealed gun. correct me if I am wrong?

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
I think you are right. I just hate to see new laws that could be addressed by common sense enforcement of existing laws

~^♥^~

Fanatic
What I find disturbing in this bill is the rights it takes away from parents in section 1273 it makes it a crime for anyone including a parent to allow a minor (under age 18) to "possess any of the arms or weapons designated in Section 1272 of this title, except rifles or shotguns." This includes any handgun even if you believe your child is responsible enough to learn how to use a handgun. And, for those teens who shoot in compititions, guess what? You won't be able to do that in Oklahoma with a handgun legally anymore.

Oldtimer

Well-Known Fanatic
It would be nice if all LEO would use just a little common sense but there are a few that get all bent out of shape when they can see a grip imprint on a jacket. I am hoping OC gets passed. I was telling a buddy in Kansas when he comes down to make sure it was concealed. He thought I was joking and wanted to know what imprinting was all about. Folks need to check other states laws while traveling.

Oldtimer

Well-Known Fanatic
What I find disturbing in this bill is the rights it takes away from parents in section 1273 it makes it a crime for anyone including a parent to allow a minor (under age 18) to "possess any of the arms or weapons designated in Section 1272 of this title, except rifles or shotguns." This includes any handgun even if you believe your child is responsible enough to learn how to use a handgun. And, for those teens who shoot in compititions, guess what? You won't be able to do that in Oklahoma with a handgun legally anymore.

So I can't take my grandkids shooting anymore.. that just isn't right.

TroyF

TheBearcat
If OC passes, it will make your head spin watching all the municipalities pass local ordinances forbidding open carry in their respective city limits.

slider

Hired Gun
I've been watching some of the legislation pretty closely and they are including language in the one that looks like it has the best chance to forbid the municipalities from passing ordinances that would make OC a public nuisance. I think the best bill so far is HB 2522 and hopefully they will pass it.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
If OC passes, it will make your head spin watching all the municipalities pass local ordinances forbidding open carry in their respective city limits.
There is language in the bill that' stops city's from doing that
This is pretty cut and dry... Open carry with a SDA card
My lobbyist guy tells me the law about kids is not changing either
Give and posess are not the same... Minors can shoot handguns under supervision like always

TroyF

TheBearcat
Oklahoma Municipal League is already lined up to file suit blocking that legislation. And there isnt a Mayor in Oklahoma that isnt going to burning down the Governor's phone.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
The folks at OK2A feel strongly the State AG will back this new law if it passes and is signed.

OML is a bunch of Nazis... I wish someone would put that group OUT OF Business... they keep Oklahoma in the "bad old days".

Latest posts