1st IDPA Match

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Went out and shot the match at Hinton. Shot my Model 66 in SSR. What a hoot!

Had a major uh-oh when I pulled the trigger the first time and got nothing but a click, I pulled again and got nothing but click. So I swung out the cylinder to take a look and saw two primer dents. Hmmm.. Backed it up two holes, closed it, pulled trigger again and it goes bang, then click, click, bang bang. Then I knew I had loaded CCI primers. Ooops... :blink: Big no-no with a reduced power mainspring.

Big thanks to Mike Cox for "loaning" me ammo loaded with Federal primers so I could shoot the match!

It was a fun match. It's a whole different world from USPSA but the targets are close enough that you can still shoot fast. Even with a revo! :)

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I tried to get out to the Hinton match at least a half dozen times. How many stages did they shoot? How long did it take? Would you go back?

No.343

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm not trying to start any type of us vs them thing. I'm even nice to Honda riders. I've thought about shooting an IDPA match a few times, but I don't think I have an IDPA legal gun. I have heard that IDPA shooters don't exactly extend warm welcomes to the USPSA types. Is there any truth to that rumor?

Chambers

actual GM
I have heard that IDPA shooters don't exactly extend warm welcomes to the USPSA types. Is there any truth to that rumor?

Yeah, USPSA guys make them look slow. ;)

I kid...I want to try one, too, but there's too much good USPSA around here.

Glocktogo

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm not trying to start any type of us vs them thing. I'm even nice to Honda riders. I've thought about shooting an IDPA match a few times, but I don't think I have an IDPA legal gun. I have heard that IDPA shooters don't exactly extend warm welcomes to the USPSA types. Is there any truth to that rumor?

Well I can't speak for every club, but we don't turn a cold shoulder to USPSA shooters at the USSA IDPA matches. Heck, we even allow the open shooters to bring their rigs and shoot in "Outlaw" division when they're trying to get warmed up for a big match! :D

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Holy hell, how did I forget this?

I tried to get out to the Hinton match at least a half dozen times. How many stages did they shoot? How long did it take? Would you go back?
They shot 5 stages. They can only set up two small stages, then reset for two more, then set the last one, it kind of seemed like it drug out a bit, I guess it really didn't as I think we finished up about4:30 or 5:00 (1:30 start) but they put on a pretty decent match nonetheless. I'll go back.

Javier, I've only shot this one, but from what I saw and from what I've heard of the match up at USSA, I can't say that I can tell that any of that going on. Out at Hinton they were very accommodating in explaining the rules and stuff for us "new" IDPA shooters. And Jerry is going to be the same in his matches, I have no doubt. Don't think I'll ever have a problem shooting any of his matches of any flavor. Now, if I can just get my butt up there.

Get you a 4" M19, 66 or 686 and get busy. I have a 4" GP100 or 66 you can run anytime, just holluh..

No.343

Well-Known Fanatic
I just might take you up on that. I've been wanting to try a GP100. I think it has a lot of potential for a lefty, but I've never fired one.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
I just might take you up on that. I've been wanting to try a GP100. I think it has a lot of potential for a lefty, but I've never fired one.
Saw a guy running one at Double Tap. He reloading out of his jacket pockets, but he was damn accurate with it and pretty quick while it was loaded. I think he may have been a lefty too. Chambers do you remember if he was?

lenahorse1

Active Fanatic
You will like IDPA as well as any other sport, some of their rules are silly but its a game so go with it, with my bad leg it made it hard on me in IPSC but IDPA is ok for me. I shoot all guns except the revolver class. We shoot at a small country gunclup here every month and practice every Wed. Most of our matches are shot 3 gun after the IDPA is over. Its hard to beat $5 (members) for an all day of shooting, breakfast,drinks all day and lunch. We usually have about 40 shooters 4-6 stages and 3 gun afterwards on the same stages.

Latest posts